Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Not too bad

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Not too bad

Postby Phil » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:53 pm

Since it's so dead and we need some fresh material, there's this, which might also come in really handy for some people planning trips during Sept (shoulder season is a nice time to go):

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

When you get right down to it, the water availability isn't really much different than any other year. Flows are most definitely lower (different for sure...YMMV) and you might have to work a little harder to get it, but roughly currently reported sources are generally the same as they always are this time of year. All things considered, I would still and always do tend toward strategically located lakes/rivers/major creeks as way points or destinations, but there aren't a whole lot of big, heavy, water lugging areas/stretches within the report that aren't entirely surmountable with a little proper planning and maybe an extra water bottle or two...and maybe the ability to use your pump well. For how detrimental and annoying this drought is, surprisingly not too bad within the scope of YNP's trail systems and the typical reports for early Sept.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Not too bad

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:58 am

The creeks in SEKI and John Muir Wilderness are dire. Before the fires closed Golden Trout the warnings were that the creeks were drying up, including the ones that were formerly year round. I abandoned a permit in SEKI and went north, after the smoke choked us out and the rangers said the first water source was so far out we'd end up carrying gallons.

Over the five days I was out in John Muir Wilderness, the creek that we crossed the first day, was down to puddles (Post Corral) visibly diminished another few inches on our last day. The lakes in the basins are a foot and a half lower than they were the last time I was there. The bathtub rings are obvious. Many of the lakes that formerly have fish... don't. The water is so warm the trout are hardly biting in the ones that do.

It's very depressing. I have to wonder if the dire drought will continue to creep north, if we don't get snow this fall/winter.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Not too bad

Postby balzaccom » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:17 pm

It's bad all over the West. When we were in Yellowstone a month ago they closed the rivers to fishing after 2 p.m. because the water was so warm, even catch and release fish were all dying. Pray for rain! and snow!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking