Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

HOW TO MEASURE YOUR SKATEBOARD TRUCKS PRECISELY?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Adding an extra day on the permit?

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 am

I'm a little confused. You're posting in September that you have a permit in August. Since I know they don't give permits more than 5 months in advance, I know it's not August 2022 that you're talking about. Where did you get your time machine? I want one! (You might mean you got one in August, I realize, but ...)

You're going to be hiking uphill for a good 2/3 of the trip, but at least it's gradual. The campsites in the canyon will have changed a lot - falling trees, fire, etc rewrite the landscape. There are fewer spots than years past. But, it's late in the year and you'll likely have little competition. I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. If I were doing it that direction I would camp at the top of the drop into Pate - good sites at Morrison Creek with great views - at Register Creek, and at Waterwheel or Glen Aulin. Once you're past Glen Aulin there's no legal camping.

The main thing the rangers care about is that you leave on the date you're supposed to leave. There's no quota on the exit date. When you pick up the permit, you can mention that you're not sure about getting out on time so want to have an extra day, that will be no issue at all.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:56 pm

I'm going to clarify AT's answer. What they care about is that you START your trip in the date specified. They allow you to end it earlier or later...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:58 pm

Yep, I was thinking "leave on the backpacking trip" - but totally see how it could also be read as "leave the wilderness". Sheeze.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:42 am

I knew that. And you knew that. I just wasn't sure if the OP knew that. grin.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Phil » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:06 am

Yes, as mentioned (I think :) ), the entry date is critical, the exit date is flexible. The one other consideration is that you should make sure that whatever word you leave as to your itinerary and possible timing with friends, family, in your car, etc, reflects the fact that you may extend your time out in order to avoid concern and unnecessary phone calls listing you as overdue. ie: "We're planning on being back by 'x' date, but only start worrying and summoning help on our behalf by 'y' date."

With an experienced 8 year old, while 3 days is likely adequate, 4 would be reasonably erring on the side of caution for planning purposes.

Suggested campsite itinerary:

Night-1: top of the switchbacks at Morrison Creek (or, push through to Night-2's location if all goes well...that descent is rough and takes time, though...think an extra few miles of your Fletcher Creek to Merced Lake descent experience, not quite as steep for the most part, but hotter.
Night-2: Pate Valley
Night-3: vicinity of Waterwheel/La Conte Falls
Night-4 (if necessary): backpacker's camp at Glen Aulin

All the above are great locations with plenty of sites and adequate water supplies. Watch for bears, particularly in Pate Valley, and keep an eye on your son around the falls, because there's a lot of what's called "slick rock", and it is, even when dry.

** I forgot to mention earlier that rattlesnakes are sometimes an issue for most of the lower part of the route. Again, Pate Valley...over Muir Gorge and just beyond...up to about Waterwheel, through the trees and rocks, but sometimes trailside and here and there. If you walk with poles, they do come in handy for the occasional flick out of the way. No particularly biggish deal, you may or may not see one or some, but you just have to watch where you're going and not reach or step over, under, or around where you can't see. They really aren't out to bite you, and are "more afraid of you than you are of them", but you just want to avoid scooping up objets de campsite and taking for granted that there's nothing under any of them. Bang around a little and walk heavily at your campsites, they'll leave. Again, just be sure the kid knows to be careful.

Have fun.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking