Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Doing my bit

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Doing my bit

Postby balzaccom » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:31 pm

Yep, it's that time of year again, when the temperatures are a bit cooler, and the trail crews can get out and try to get things in order for next year--or at least next weekend.

This time I joined a team from the Mariposa Trails organization--wonderful bunch of people who not only worked hard, but also had some great conversations along the way. We had one team with a chain saw, taking out the trees that had fallen across the trail; another team with loppers that was cutting back the brush (manzanita, poison oak, gamble oaks, etc); and a third team using picks and shovels to re-route one section of trail and repair the tread to a horse-worthy level. I was on the pick and shovel detail.

The trail was along Skelton Creek, which still even had a trickle of water in it that was a nice background sound to the grunts and gasps of our team. But don't think it was all work, all day. We managed to make a quick side trip to a small cascade where a small tributary joins Skelton Creek, and we finished the day by tracking the trail down to the abandoned Blue Glory Mine.

It was a perfect day---weather was sunny but cool, the workers were cool, too. And we not only made some progress, we had a great time doing it.

The full photo log is here: photos.app.goo.gl/bEWWuM13DXgHPKF98

Mariposa Trails is here; mariposatrails.org/
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking