Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Santa's naughty list

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Santa's naughty list

Postby balzaccom » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:03 am

Who's been naughty? Please feel free to add, delete, amend, correct, fold, spindle or mutilate:

Each year we put together a naughty list, and a nice list, to share our thoughts about this year's adventures. Here's the first part of that list:

Who's naughty this year?

Idiots who deface our public spaces and parks, whether that be with graffiti, trash, or endless piles of stacked rocks. Just leave no trace. That’s all we ask.

Knuckleheads who make campground reservations and fail to show up—and fail to cancel them so that others could take advantage of the open space. It’s so sad to see campgrounds fully booked—and 30% of the spaces unoccupied.

One particular place in hell for the creep who stole our leveling blocks and step from our campsite one day when we were out on a hike in Kings Canyon. Grrr.

The multitudes of perfect people on the internet who have never made a mistake and are careful to second guess and point out the stupidity of anyone who has a problem in the outdoors. Sometimes stuff happens. And what you read in the news may not be the whole story. Shocking.

And let’s also include those who read about someone’s experiences and immediately point out what they are doing wrong, and why they should change. Hike your own hike. And let other people hike theirs.

Anyone who knows so much about the outdoors that they can ignore the rules. No fires? Well, I can build a small fire. Use a bear can? Well, I hang my food and have never had a problem. My dog doesn’t need to be on a leash, and doesn’t carry parasites…Etc. etc. Get over yourself. John Muir led domestic sheep into the Sierra, and damn near exterminated all the native sheep in our mountains. We have rules now, for good reason.

And yes, those silly people who think that the fact that they are tired, or thirsty, or just don't want to hike any more means that they should call 911 and request a "rescue." Here's a tip: sit down and rest for fifteen minutes. Drink some water, eat a little something. and then get up and slowly start putting one foot in front of the other. You'll be amazed how well it works.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Santa's naughty list

Postby snowcreek » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:37 pm

Trail crews bury their trash all the time. Its historic. We used to burn trash too. Oh- and I left a pair of workboots under the trail in front of awahnee point... And a beer can under a rock next to the start of the trail head sign on my namesakes trail....
You would be shocked at difference between what the public thinks about the park service and staff and what they actually do
I do feel bad about leaving some trash in the Trinity Alps though as a civilian
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Phil » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:58 pm

I'm that endearing mixture of both naughty and nice. But before I discuss the details, are there gift cards at stake here?
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:21 am

Not yet! But who knows who is reading these posts?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking