Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

John Muir Trail walk up permit

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

John Muir Trail walk up permit

Postby Bighead » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:54 am

It looks like I will finally have the time to tick off a bucket list item. I’m going to try the lottery but if I don’t get it what time should I plan to line up for a JMT walk up permit?
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: John Muir Trail walk up permit

Postby Phil » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:30 am

It all depends. What day of the week are you planning for? On or around a major holiday? Leaving from the Valley or Tuolumne?

Try your luck and timing with the lottery. If that doesn't work out, plan to get into line at one of the permit offices early (they open at 8am), say no later than 6am, with 5am being even better in most cases. The lines can get very long. You can also try for a cancellation. They take the no-shows out and open up their unclaimed permits at 11am the day of for walk-up, so if you get one, you have to hit the trail the same day, which could easily still give you time to make it to LYV if leaving from the Valley, or at least Cathedral Lakes if leaving from Tuolumne.

Always, mid-week is the better time to go; all the way from getting the permit to less crowded trails.

No matter what, go into that permit office with at least a Plan B and/or Plan C for trailhead choices. And one last strategic trick: if the actual JMT permits aren't available, you can always try to use other entry trailheads to essentially get in and pick up the JMT somewhere along the line.
Phil
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:10 pm

Also, if by some miracle we have a good snow year (fingers crossed) the trip should be in late June, potentially later depending on snow pack. And you should anticipate mosquitoes if you go before Aug-Sept.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Bighead » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:21 pm

I plan on doing the lottery first and only doing the walk up if I don’t win the lottery. I’m planning to start on a Wednesday and will put in for Tuesday and Thursday as well.
Right now my plan is late June but if the weather continues the way it’s going now this could potentially be a high snow year which will change my dates for sure. I’d prefer to go in August or September but the last few years the fires have been awful and I’ll take mosquitoes over smoke any day.
Bighead
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:16 am

A sad but true analysis of hiking the Sierra these days...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking