Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Shuttles

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Shuttles

Postby stevepattison » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 am

Three of us (myself and two friends) are planning a backpacking trip in Yosemite this July. What is the probability of getting shuttles from fellow visitors if the park shuttles are not running?
stevepattison

Re: Shuttles

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:04 am

It will depend on where you want the shuttle. If you're in an area where there are lots of visitors (like Tuolumne Meadows) and you want a ride back down to the Valley, then you can probablay do this, although it might take a couple of rides, one to Crane Flat, and the other down into the valley.

If one of the end-points is in an area that doesn't get as much traffic (Hetch-hetchy) , or requires more than one major intersection (Mammoth or Twin Lakes), it will be harder...or at least, slower.

I've found that it works better to ask people in a parking lot about it, rather than just standing on the road with a thumb out, or a sign.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby snowcreek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:51 am

Yosemite. It's there all right. You get in there and can't get out, you're gonna wish it wasn't
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby stevepattison » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:53 pm

Thanks Balzaccom. We would be looking for a lift from the vally to the sunrise lakes area, or vice versa. We will know more once the permit lottery is over and we know where we are going and when we are going there. Three dudes with 80 liter packs may require a good samaritan with an empty truck :D
stevepattison

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 pm

stevepattison wrote:Thanks Balzaccom. We would be looking for a lift from the vally to the sunrise lakes area, or vice versa. We will know more once the permit lottery is over and we know where we are going and when we are going there. Three dudes with 80 liter packs may require a good samaritan with an empty truck :D

If that were my situation, I would draw straws and invite one person to leave his pack and go get a ride to the car. The other two wait with the packs. Much better chance of getting a ride that way.

On the other hand, if you go down Snow Creek, it's only one more day of hiking to get back to the valley on foot!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby WanderingJim » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:22 pm

I was in Yosemite Valley around New Years and the shuttles were running. So, there's hope for them and the hiker's buses running this year.
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby stevepattison » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:10 am

Thanks everyone!
stevepattison

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking