Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

June North Rim Hike

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: June North Rim Hike

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:38 am

"lyell canyon is not in the valley retard."

Neither is the North Rim Trail, which is the topic of this thread, starting at Rock Pile and staying out of Yosemite Valley until Snow Creek.

Still, if you want a wilderness warning sign in Yosemite Valley, here's one: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAT

Note that this is right in the Valley, and the entire trail is within four trail miles of the Valley and the trailhead.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: June North Rim Hike

Postby cknitter » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:24 pm

Thanks everyone for the responses! This is so helpful. I posted this right before leaving town and having a busy week so I was pleasantly surprised with the responses, all my questions were answered and then some!

AlmostThere wrote:3. You'll have to park in the trailhead parking down the road from Curry Village. That's not negotiable. There's a bunch of bear lockers to use, for any smellable items, or even empty bags, boxes or ice chests. Bears there are expert thieves that patrol and try door handles. Lock your car, make sure it's clean/vacuumed well so there are no crumbs to smell.

The YARTS will drop folks off at trailheads on request, I believe. So if the hiker bus isn't running, check the YARTS website and call to confirm, that may be the other option.

Thanks for letting me know about the trailhead, I think I found it on Google Maps, Yosemite Valley Trailhead Parking, right? https://goo.gl/maps/N5oHofLHC2VYziPe8

Also good to know about YARTS. their website says they don't stop so good to hear they might not hold 100% to that policy but would ask before getting on.

WanderingJim wrote:When I've done that route, I parked at the OBFRT end and hitched a ride back when time wasn't critical.

Your way would be a little more sure if you can time the hikers bus or YARTS early enough.

Otherwise, hitching is the way I got back to my car each time. Might not want to start the hike hitching, since it's uncertain how long it'll take (that's why I left my Jeep at that end).

Your mileage may vary, but I've never been able to get to the top of El Cap on day 1 (but that may be because i picked up my permit the same day, so usually didn't get started until mid-morning... or I'm just a slow old guy. :) ).

My fav camping spots along that route:
Top of El Cap
At the edge of Eagle Peak (there are some campsites very close to the top).
The first legal camping spot above Yosemite Point. It has great views in all directions.
The top of North Dome (there are several nice spots jsut short of the high point), but be careful climbing down to North Dome... the trail is a bit tricky.

Tip: Pick up your permit at the Big Oak Flat entrance. Usually not as busy as the Valley Wilderness Center.

Thanks for this info Jim! We like to hit the trail between 8-9am but I hadn't thought about the implication of hitching effecting that start time, plus there probably aren't too many people driving out of the valley towards OBOFRT at that hour so we may have to have our car at the start and return at the end of the hike if the shuttle or YARTS aren't running at that hour.

We did 38 miles in Absarooka this last year over 3 days, 2 nights with similar elevation gain/loss though at a higher overall elevation (10 miles day one, 14 mi, 14 mi subsequently). Looking at this route it looks like El Cap is 10 mi, North Dome another 10 mi, then 10 mi out (maybe a few extra miles with side spurs).

We typically order custom detailed map sections of our routes from My Topo which have been good for navigation and campsite locations but their site appears to be having issues right now. It says to camp only in established sites so I'm hoping those will be pretty apparent on the trail.

balzaccom wrote:"
On my map the only part of this route where camping is not allowed is within a half-mile of the top of Yosemite Falls...at least until you get to Snow Creek. You are correct that this route takes you through the top of Yosemite Falls, and camping is not allowed there. Also not allowed on top of North Dome, although it is allowed along the trail TO North Dome.

But it's not accurate to say that this route enters and leaves wilderness multiple times. The entire North Rim is designated wilderness with two tiny sections highlighted to avoid high impact: the top of Yosemite Falls, and the top of North Dome.

Thanks for this clarification, we'll be very careful about selecting our site near North Dome. I also receive an NPS email about bear activity and not camping near Snow Creek. I've copied what the email said below for anyone else who may be interested in this route:

"Camping is not permitted at the top of Yosemite Falls, at Yosemite Point, or on the summit of North Dome.

Due to increased bear activity, the area to the south and east of the footbridge on the Snow Creek Trail is closed to overnight camping. For more information about this camping closure, please visit the National Park Service website and view the Safety Closures (Wildlife Protection) section.

Your first night’s camp location must be south of Tioga Road and west of Olmsted Point. To be considered a wilderness camping area, you must camp at least four trail miles from Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite Valley, Glacier Point, Hetch Hetchy, and Wawona, and at least one air mile from any road."
cknitter

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking