Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

2022 Wilderness Permits---things are getting better

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

2022 Wilderness Permits---things are getting better

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:50 am

Looks like it's back to the future for wilderness permits in Yosemite.

The new policy for 2022 manages to avoid some of the pitfalls of the last couple of years. Only 60% of the permits for each trailhead can be reserved, and those only by a lottery system--no more "fastest fingers win the prize." And the remaining 40% are available first-come-first-served to walk ups on the day before.

This is great news. It means more permits will be available to people who really do use them, as opposed to reserving out all the permits to on-line reservations months in advance. Here's what the Yosemite website says:

Wilderness Permit Reservations

You can get a wilderness permit or reservation during three different periods:
Reservations by lottery are available 24 weeks in advance on Recreation.gov.
Reservations not taken by lottery are available on a first-come, first-served basis on Recreation.gov from about 22 weeks in advance until seven days before intended start date.
Permits are available in-person on a first-come, first-served basis at permit issuing stations starting at 11 am one day before intended start date.

Sixty percent of reservations are available by reservation. Forty percent of permits (plus any unused reservations) are available starting one day in advance.

The processing fee is $10 per application. If you receive a wilderness permit, an additional fee of $5 per person applies. These fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

You can only apply once per weekly lottery. While there isn't an annual limit on the number of confirmed reservations you can have, you can only have six active (i.e., future) reservations at any given time.
Wilderness permits are required all year, but reservations are only available for trips May through October.
The Yosemite Conservancy Wilderness Office processes all permit reservation applications. Its hours are Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm.

And here's a link to the page that gives even more detail: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wpres.htm
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: 2022 Wilderness Permits---things are getting better

Postby snowcreek » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:03 pm

Recreation.gov is a disgrace. In no way should a private, for profit, Bill Gates linked company be taking jobs from govt workers and money from the public to "apply" for an opportunity to recreate on OUR land.
Not to mention you need a computer or smartphone and a secure internet access to do so. It amounts to a financial litmus test for entering OUR public lands.
This is not good news. And its even worse the Yosemite Conservancy is stealing jobs now too.
(sorry if this comes across as a rebuttal or anger- its neither. I am just passionate about this issue.)
Last edited by snowcreek on Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:57 pm

Walk up permits are available.

How have first-come, first-served walk-up permits changed?

The only change is that walk-up wilderness permits will now have a fee, consistent with nearby national parks and forests. The fee is $10 per group (permit) and $5 per person during the reservation season. As before, 40% of permits (plus any unreserved permits) are available starting one day in advance for in-person pickup at a wilderness center.

From approximately November through April each year, wilderness permits will be available as usual, without reservations or fees, at designated self-registration or issuing stations.

Since people don't show up unclaimed permits are available for grabs in person.

Seriously, your hatred for the NPS and so many other things is really getting old... Bill Gates has nothing to do with recreation.gov - it's an interagency partnership among federal agencies. Bill Gates doesn't own everything on the internet. Come on. Yosemite Conservancy is a nonprofit, and when federal agencies lack funding, guess who gets to step up? The public. Working through nonprofits. Write to Congress if you have a problem with that. It's their budgeting and lack of interest in doing things for the public.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby snowcreek » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:01 pm

Actually Bill Gates is partnered with Booz Allen the operator of Recreation.gov. I understand why people get confused and think that recreation.gov is somehow an "interagency" but its not. Note the partnership to work on things such as the "application development business" for the feds... Guess what they developed? Recreation.gov
I And Yes- the NPS is a joke. Had you worked for them and seen the massive corruption you might have a similar attitude.
And most of the "work" the yosemite conservancy does could and should be done by the federal govt who does it anyway and does a better job of it.
None of the changes to the reservation system was needed. This is a for profit power grab by a private for profit company and I can garuntee you that money changed hands for that to happen.
Anything else?

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/ ... -more.html
Microsoft Corp. (NASDAQ: MSFT) and McLean-based federal consultant Booz Allen Hamilton Inc. (NYSE: BAH) announced this week they have formed a partnership, just at a time when Microsoft is raising its profile in the federal market.

Central to the partnership will be Microsoft's hybrid laptop and tablet device known as Surface, as well as its Windows 10 software, along with Booz Allen’s deep relationships with the federal government and growing federal cybersecurity and [b][b]application development business[/b].[/b]
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:31 pm

"Actually Bill Gates is partnered with Booz Allen the operator of Recreation.gov. I understand why people get confused and think that recreation.gov is somehow an "interagency" but its not."

By definition, an organization that works with agencies at the state, local and federal government level in an interagency company.
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby snowcreek » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:38 pm

it's an interagency partnership among federal agencies.

By definition recreation.gov- a private for profit company operated by booz allen is not a federal agency...
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby BJfromAZ » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:04 pm

Just really hard to tell what your getting on Recreation.gov I secured a reservation for entry at Happy Isles (Illilouette) for 4 nights. When I talked with the backcountry ranger, they explained that it was just the first night that must be in the Illilouette Basin and then I could go into LYV afterwards. After I made the selection on the R.gov site they then wanted where I was going to stay each night. Pretty hard to plan a itinerary when your new to a park and have not made familiar notes. I'm seasoned in Grand Canyon where permits are for use areas only, so you know the limits of where you can stay. So...
I need to get a modern map. Will it have a buffer on it to know how far one must go into I Basin on the first night? Any preference for publisher? Nat. Geo.? Tom Harrison? I take a hardcopy in case electronics fail.
My permit starts May 9. Pretty sure I read that current snowpack is at 25% so I'm wondering what experience anybody can offer for what snow I might have to deal with. I have read that June is buggy. Any input on what early to mid May is like? I planned to go to Merced Lake but maybe that's not a good idea if I will be mosquito bait constantly.
I will have to verify with rangers but I'm also wondering if I can go down from Echo Valley to Sunrise Creek, hitting the JMT with my current reservation or will I need a specific JMT auth on the permit when I pick it up (if available). I don't really know the ground and have read some dated trail books but am trying to put together a nice hike without backtracking down the same way.
Looking for some input from you seasoned Yosemite users.
BJfromAZ
First-timer
First-timer

Postby WanderingJim » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:58 pm

>I need to get a modern map. Will it have a buffer on it to know how far one must go into I Basin on the first night?

Nat Geo does have shaded areas that show the approximate Yosemite wilderness boundaries you have to get beyond. Also, this map shows where you have to reach for each trailhead: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/upload/wildernesstrailheads.pdf

For your permit you have to get down the trail directly to the west of Mt Starr King past the orange arrow. Once you camp the first night past that arrow, you can mostly go anywhere in the wilderness and camp beyond any of the arrows.You can't exit into Yosemite Valley and enter another trailhead).

>My permit starts May 9. Pretty sure I read that current snowpack is at 25% so I'm wondering what experience anybody can offer for what snow I might have to deal with.

This year, snow shouldn't be a problem in early May around Yosemite Valley (baring us getting some much needed spring snow storms (which can happen - there was a big snowstorm for Memorial Day 2019).

Maybe the higher elevations will still have snow in places, but I suspect that the trails up from the Valley, down to Merced Lake, and down the trails running around the Illilouette Creek will be pretty clear (maybe muddy in places) in early May this year.

There is a chance the Half Dome cables maybe be up in early May this year (need an additional permit). Top of Clouds Rest and anything near Tioga road may still be pretty snowy, but hard to tell until the end of April. Sunrise lakes may be okay. A normal year, I'd say NO to all of these being snow free or even being reachable without snow travel skills, but this has been a horribly bad snow year.

>I have read that June is buggy. Any input on what early to mid May is like?

Yes, mosquitoes will be a problem in May. Get a head net and some good mosquitoes spray.

>I planned to go to Merced Lake but maybe that's not a good idea if I will be mosquito bait constantly.

I'm not sure you can avoid them this May regardless of where you hike.

>I will have to verify with rangers but I'm also wondering if I can go down from Echo Valley to Sunrise Creek, hitting the JMT with my current reservation or will I need a specific JMT auth on the permit when I pick it up (if available).

You need a Happy Isles Pass Through permit with a Donahue Exit permit to hike the JMT from the Valley. Early May? There will be a lot of snow still in the higher elevations (even this year). If you're looking at JMT trail guides, consider early May this year like early June conditions in normal years and plan accordingly. Most people wait till July for the southbound JMT. June start date may very well be possible for most people this year.

Even this year, Tioga Road probably won't be open in early May, so starting from Lyell Canyon with a Donahue Exit permit probably wont' be doable (but stranger things have happened).
WanderingJim
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby snowcreek » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:56 pm

The cables never come down. They just take the posts off and the wood blocks and store them in a crack. You can easily use a prussik system with a harness to acsend the cables without a permit!
Just know what you are doing and watch the ice on sub dome
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby snowcreek » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:52 pm

The point of recreation.gov is to privatize the NPS. In the future- there will be no backcountry ranger.. There will be no entrance booth, there will be no free trails or recreation. Wake up folks. We are not long from an entrance booth that is similar in style to what you see at parking garages- fully automated gates that will only let it those who have the correct QR code to scan and access what used to be public lands. Ditto with hiking trails- you will have to scan your QR code at the start of your timed and reserved hike. The trails- google mapped- will monitor your pace and let you know if you have to turn around because you are not on the pace to finish within your reservation. This will be sold on the same premise that recreation.gov is- that the parks are "overcrowded" and that they HAVE to do it for the enviornment. Many will like the new restrictions like many like the new reservation system because THEY will have access to the park... Of course by the time these people dont have access and figure out the rouse it will be too late.
And of course you will have to buy your pass at recreation.gov which people like Bill Gates are profiting off of.
This was all in the works long before Covid. Get ready- what you are used to having will no longer be
If I live long enough I will tell the youth what freedom was

On a historical note- Merced lake was the site of a dope smuggling fiasco in the 70's that was the inspiration for the movie "cliffhanger"
The more you know
https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/t ... e-w209503/
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:35 am

Those are all certainly words.

That which is asserted without proof, can be dismissed without consideration.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:43 am

Just a quick correction. It was Merced Pass Lake--very different from Merced Lake.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby snowcreek » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:39 am

I will wait to see who is correct.

Edit- looks like its already happining...
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/transporta ... bility.htm

Uber in National parks.. Gross
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:19 pm

balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby snowcreek » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:36 pm

https://www.boozallen.com/expertise/dig ... vices.html

Shockingly- Microsofts Azure cloud company's profits are up 46%.... Its like they are given money for free or something...
Things are NOT getting better with Recreation.gov/booz allen...
What a joke.
snowcreek
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking