Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

What did you not buy today?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

What did you not buy today?

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:02 am

This is a companion thread to all the threads on gear on these boards. It is increasingly clear that consumerism is a driving force in the issue of global climate change. With that in mind, I am not suggesting that we avoid ever buying anything again, or even avoid buying anything that comes in plastic packaging, but I am suggesting that we should also have a thread here to celebrate NOT buying new gear.

The full article, including examples of scavenged, salvaged, and very long-lived gear is here:

https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/ ... -buy-today

So what you have re-purposed for your backpacking gear? What solutions have you found for gear that is low-impact/no impact on our environment. What gear do you have that has served its purposed well for more than ten years…and doesn’t need to be replaced, perhaps ever? What practices have you adopted that are a significant step in the right direction?

Yes, this thread may offend some advertisers who want us to buy their gear. But I would hope that most of them would also see the long-term benefits of the discussion.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: What did you not buy today?

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:23 am

I wear out things. Buying new gear just because has never been my gig. But, everything has a lifespan.

I appreciate Patagonia's approach - you can take back things you're no longer wearing. But that's one clothing line. Maybe REI needs to start a program...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby ctfshjohn » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:17 am

i have a sierra designs meteor light tent from 1999 that i need a screen zipper fixed on.
the main door zipper works, but i would like to send it somewhere to get the secondary screen zipper fixed
tent is otherwise working well.
ideas are welcome as to where to send bedsides SD , and what this might cost to repair .
thank you

my 20 degree bag from 1997 is still working well, although ive never like the color of it. :]
ctfshjohn
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:19 am

There's always Rainy Pass: https://rainypass.com/gear-we-fix/

I got an email quote from them recently to update my 12 year old backpacking quilt.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Kevin » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:21 am

Unfortunately, all she came up with was to use things for as long as possible. I have equipment of rather good quality, which I have been using for 10 years.
Kevin
First-timer
First-timer

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking