Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Spring Hike near Wawona?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Spring Hike near Wawona?

Postby balzaccom » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:31 am

I'll be spending a few days at Tenaya Lodge is early March---wondering if anyone here has any hiking suggestions. I've done Chilnualna Falls in the summer...would that trail be accessible in March? Or are there others that you might recommend?
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hiker97 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:35 pm

I think the big question will be whether you want to do any cross-country ski trails or if you want to stick with hiking. Then of course there's the snow level which may be fairly low. Chilnualna Falls appears to top out at 6000' elevation and is rated in my 100 Trails in Yosemite (Soares) book as good for year-round. If you are looking for something to do on say a half-day out of Tenaya, another very short but enjoyable trip is the Lewis Creek trail directly off SR-41 south of the Tenaya Lodge on the east side of the highway. There's a short 2-mile round trip to one set of falls upstream and then another waterfall about a quarter mile downstream from the trailhead. The trailhead is between Tenaya Lodge and the turnoffs to Bass Lake/Sierra Sky Ranch. The short but touristy treks out of the valley are going to be pretty amazing in March as well due to all of the water flowing! Depending on snow level you could simply see how far you could get before the trails become buried.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:58 am

THanks for the suggestions! And yes, we are also exploring the idea of renting or buying snowshoes--not just for this trip, but for future adventures.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking