Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Picked Up a Cool 3 day Canister from Bareboxer

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Picked Up a Cool 3 day Canister from Bareboxer

Postby Grzldvt » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:40 am

Was looking for a smaller 2-3 day canister and many of my hiking partners use the BearVault 405, but they also had trouble getting them unscrewed at times. All say they cleaned the threads before the trip, so I have no idea. I had trouble with them myself.
I thought I would try this one https://www.bareboxer.com/ it is 1.6 lbs versus the BearVault at 2.1lbs. It looks just like a minature Garcia. Has a unique locking system so you will need a key or some object that can get down into the slot. You have to push down on the buttons and twist to unlock. I have a ton of keys that are no longer useful so I am going to tape two of them onto the top and bottom. During the week I will begin to pack it for Glen Aulin Trip and see if my standard fare fits. Looks like it will, but my small wine boxes might be a problem.. LOL :mrgreen: .
I have a small pack that I use for 2-3 day trips and the Garcia was just too big. This one should fit the bill perfectly.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Picked Up a Cool 3 day Canister from Bareboxer

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:19 am

I first became aware of Bare Boxer when Yosemite was renting them. They stopped doing that, not sure why, stuck with Garcias after the BB's vanished. I got one before the prices went up - it's a great can, approved everywhere so far as I can tell. Perfect for 3-4 days.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:03 am

All of this begs the question, how many bear canisters do you need?

The answer, as it is for so many things in our consumer society is n+1. Where n represents the number of canisters you currently own...

grin
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:13 am

balzaccom wrote:All of this begs the question, how many bear canisters do you need?

The answer, as it is for so many things in our consumer society is n+1. Where n represents the number of canisters you currently own...

grin

Three. One to loan, one for long trips, and the bear boxer.

That's what I have, anyway. The Bear Vault is the loaner. The Bearikade Weekender is for long trips. The Bare Boxer gets used most frequently.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:13 am

I just have two had three but my big Bear Vault was so early on it was declared useless and hit the recycling bin.
But I have the Garcia and the Bareboxer.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:51 am

Grzldvt wrote:I just have two had three but my big Bear Vault was so early on it was declared useless and hit the recycling bin.
But I have the Garcia and the Bareboxer.

If you mean the lid was the older kind or it stopped working, mine did that. I forced the lid off so many times that the tab stopped catching. I emailed the guy and told him that, and he sent me a free updated lid. I may yet sell the BV...
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Grzldvt » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:17 am

Mine was even before the infamous tab. I was one of the very first adopters. It just screwed on, no tab.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:31 am

Some day, humanity will recognize the other sentient creatures on the planet... a friend of mine became anti hunting, after a friend of hers showed her a video he'd taken while bear hunting. Hunter had shot a bear and was following it because it was wounded. His GoPro caught the bear stopping at a stream, scooping up mud, and slapping it on the wound.

I read a blurb somewhere from one of the SEKI park admins that said basically that if bears want your food they'll get it. Bears have tossed canisters off cliffs, dumped them into water, learned to pop lids off Bear Vaults by tipping them over and jumping on them or biting off the tabs.... If they evolve fingers we're all done for.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking