Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Washburn Fire!!!

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Washburn Fire!!!

Postby Grzldvt » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:15 am

The smoke from the fire seems to be drifting into the Valley and into the High Country/Toulumne. I did the Valley floor with my daughter and grandkids and it was very smokey. I happen to snag a Lyell Canyon to Ireland and out Rafferty overnight permit, but with the smoke drifting that way, am going to pass. When I drive from Coarsegold to Oakhurst I can see the smoke plume and it has easily doubled in size from Saturday
On Tuesday we are going to May Lake. My second granddaughters name is Sierra May(Named after the lake) So we are going come hell or highwater as they say.. Will report back on the conditions.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Washburn Fire!!!

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:06 am

Thanks for the local report. We cancelled a trip to the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne for today---the third time we've had to cancel that trip. Someday we'll take it, and end the jinx!
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Washburn Fire!!!

Postby Grzldvt » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:55 am

Yes you would have been right in it. Today was a bit better, see my May lake post but the mosquitoes were hell. Surprised me as I did Glen Aulin in mid-June and had zero mosquitoes.
Steve
Grzldvt
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking