Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Good Half Day Hike in the Valley

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Good Half Day Hike in the Valley

Postby blum0783 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi I'll be visiting Yosemite this week for an over night trip and I will only have time for a half day hike. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a relatively casual hike in the valley that will be nice this time of year and won't take more than half a day.

Thanks,
B
blum0783
First-timer
First-timer

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:37 pm

Half day in the Valley? I think your best bet is to go see Vernal Falls. You can keep going beyond that if you want more miles, but it is probably the prettiest right now. Only real downside is that everyone else will be on the same trail.

But my favorites are just walking out into the center of the Valley and wandering around in the meadow. Stunning views, better than any from the roads. And it is possible to sit in the middle of Yosemite Valley and feel quite alone.

Honorable mention to Snow Creek Falls trail, which takes you up beyond Mirror Lake, climbing the face across from Half Dome
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby gwegan » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I agree, Vernal is best. If you go just 500 yards beyond the bridge above Vernal there is a great view of Nevada falls. Do this in the morning and the crowds will be much less.

Depending on your stamina level, Yosemite Falls is also great. Again start in the morning and decide how far you want to go.

If you want to stay on the Valley floor. Then Start at the Chapel and walk east towards Curry Village and just keep following the walls. Don't go up the Mist Trail to Vernal but do go to Mirror lake. If you start at about 9 you should be at the Awhanee for lunch.
gwegan
Regular
Regular

half day

Postby Heybooboo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:33 pm

With the snow on the Valley floor rent x-country skis and ski back to Mirror Lake from Curry.

If you already went post a note and tell us what you did and how well it went.
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking