Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Newbie with two questions: bear canisters & Mist Trail

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Newbie with two questions: bear canisters & Mist Trail

Postby iowamomx2 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Wow - this forum is great. My family of 4 will be visiting Yosemite June 15-18, 2009. I have two questions. 1) I was planning on a hike to Nevada Falls - taking the John Muir leg up and returning on the true Mist Fall trail. I figured this gave us two different views (up/down to Vernal); while keeping us dry for most of the trip. Does that sound right? The only place you get wet is the stairs running along Vernal Falls? 2) Do you need to keep granola bar snacks in a bear canister on day hikes? THANKS for this forum! I have already learned a lot from reading other posts.
iowamomx2

Postby Heybooboo » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:27 pm

No bear canister needed for day hikes. Look into going up Mist Trail and coming down clockwise back to Happy Isles. There is a nice pond at top of Vernal Falls. I like this route as I would rather go up steep steps that may be damp rather than come down said steps. No steps on JMT coming down from Nevada Fall.
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Mist Trial - JMT Clockwise to Vernal

Postby iowamomx2 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:33 pm

That makes sense - going up wet, steep stairs instead of down. I was just trying to keep us dry because we wanted to hike on up to Nevada Falls. Would you continue on up to Nevada after getting wet (although we plan to bring raingear)?
iowamomx2

Postby cornbread » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:44 pm

My wife and I went up the Mist Trail on May 30th of last year when the fall was really going and didn't get all that wet. You can get damp but not sopping wet...unless you stay in the mist for a while. We would, and did, continue to Nevada Fall and Half Dome and back down the JMT.
cornbread

Postby john » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:11 am

I would go up the mist and down JMT. I think you'll have better views going this direction. Also, you'll probably welcome the cool water/mist on the way up earlier in the hike than you will late at the end. The wetness factor can vary quite a bit depending on what the wind is doing. I've seen it pin the mist up near the waterfall itself and stayed completely dry on the hike. I also been completely soaked by the top of Vernal Falls. The view from near the top of Nevada Falls o the JMT is priceless! Have fun!
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

No bear problems - but watch your food around the squirrels.

Postby adrianhoff » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:20 am

As has already been said, no canister needed. But you do need to watch your snacks. I left a camera bag (which contained a couple of protein bars) unattended while I shot some pictures. I returned to find a squirrel gnawing a hole in my camera bag. They're pretty brazen. I've seen people resting at the top of the falls loose snacks from jacket pockets: with the jacket laying on the ground right next to where they're sitting.
adrianhoff
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

THANKS

Postby iowamomx2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:33 am

Thanks for all the replies to my question. It sounds like going up the Mist Trail to the top of Vernal, then onto Nevada, then returning the whole way on the JMT is the way to go. It also sounds like we'll just need to keep an eye on our snacks! I've had that trouble with chipmunks in Colorado - they aren't afraid of humans at all! (At least the ones around Dillon Lake). I'm getting so anxious for the trip! I'll have to let you know how it goes.
iowamomx2

Postby Wickett » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:38 am

Another thing to look out for is water, especially in the warmer months. Every time I have been passing over Nevada to the back country, I get hit up for water. I do not mind since it gives me an excuse to put down my pack, but I normally fill at least 5 peoples water bottles with my purifier.

You can make it on a grumpy stomache, not so much dehydrated.

Cheers!
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking