Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Permits

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Permits

Postby Kris » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:52 am

I want to get a clearer understanding about permit pulling. I have to pull a permit the day before I set out on an overnight backcountry hike, right? Does that automatically allow me to camp at the designated spots along that route, or do I have to pull an additional permit for those camp sites. Case in point: If I pull a permit to hike Vogelsang, am I automatically allowed to camp at the Vogelsang High Sierra Camp and Emeric Lake camp?

Also, how do I pull that permit in advance? I've tried calling the permit line, but no one ever picks up or returns my messages. If 40 percent of permits are held back, do I even need to pull wilderness permits far in advance?

If I don't manage to get a permit for a main camp site what's the attitude toward car camping? Are there acceptable spots for that or not?

Thanks for your help. I've never been to Yosemite before (coming first week of June) and want to get it right.
Kris

Re: Permits

Postby dan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Your wilderness permit also allows you to stay at the backpackers campgrounds. These are walk-in campgrounds for those with a wilderness permit for the next day or the previous day (for the start and end of your trip). There's a backpackers campground at the east end of Tuolumne Meadows Campground. The other is north of the North Pines Campground (on the north side of Tenaya Creek). The latter is not on most maps, to keep out squatters (people without wilderness permits).

You can also reserve a normal car camp campground.

As for camping in the backcountry, you can camp anywhere where it's not permitted (such as so many feet next to a trail or stream or lake).

The High Sierra Camps have backpacker campgrounds nearby. The HSCs themselves are reservable and are for those who want a bed and meals.

Go to the website and apply as instructed (fax or mail).
http://www.nps.gov/yose/wilderness/
You can try calling if it's during weekday business hours.

It's a good idea to get a permit in advance, otherwise, you may need to wait an extra day if the days permits are gone. This is more common in the summer weekends and for trips leaving Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne Meadows.

First week of June may be a little early. There's a lot of snow on the ground then usually. It depends on the year. If the drought holds out, it may be dry enough by then.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: your suggestions

Postby Kris » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:35 pm

Thanks for the excellent advice. :D

I'm still getting used to the idea that there might be snow in early June. :o
Kris

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking