Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Bike Camping to Yosemite from Modesto

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Bike Camping to Yosemite from Modesto

Postby vja4Him » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:02 am

I'm planning on riding my bicycle up to Yosemite from Modesto. Looking for someone to tag along for the adventure. I would like to camp out for four, maybe five nights.

Has anyone ever done bicycle camping around Yosemite? Interested in riding up to Yosemite this summer?

- Riding 4 Life
- Riding 4 Life
vja4Him

Postby balzaccom » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:07 pm

I've done some cyclingin the area...starting from Sonora and heading up to Crane Flat. It's a long, steady climb with a couple of really steep sections. I don't know what kind of cyclist you are, but when I am climbing, I don't like to drag an extra 50 pounds with me...

Are you thinking of pulling a trailer? I think that is probably the best bet, but it's a lot of work for that kind road. As I recall, the first 35 miles or so from Modesto up 120 is pretty flat, but then you get another 45 or so that is a good climb. If you can do that in one day, pulling a trailer, you have my admiration. From Crane Flat it's another stiff ride up to TM...about 35 miles with 3500 elevation gain there, too.

Don't get me wrong--I love cycling. But I prefer to ride my bike and have my wife meet me at the end of the ride--and that way she can take all the weight in the car with her.

If you DO, go, I really recommend the old road from Hodgdon MEadow over to the Tuolumne Grove. it's a steep climb at times, but simply wonderful. Probably better on a MT bike, but I did it a few years ago on a road bike...and only had to get off and walk around the baby heads once, when I was crossing a stream.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby gwegan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:39 am

I'm going to suggest a alternate route.

Hwy 120 from Modesto has some serious grades (old Priest Grade to name one). It is also very narrow in some spots. You have to descend into the valley from Crane Flat on a narrow twisting road.

I strongly suggest you take 140 from Merced. The climb is more consistent. The road is wider and more open. True there are about five miles from the park entrance to the valley that are narrow but in my view the sightlines are much better than on 120. The Amgin Tour used 120 from Merced to Maraposa.

Have fun
gwegan
Regular
Regular

Route to Yosemite ...

Postby vja4Him » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:48 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'll see if I can find someone to take me on a drive to check out the routes. Taking the Merced route would add quite a few extra miles to the trip. That could take me three days each way .... ! But with the hills on the other route, via Oakdale/Jamestown, that could also take me three days each way!

Any suggestions on stealth camping along the way ... ???
- Riding 4 Life
vja4Him

Riding Up to Yosemite ....

Postby vja4Him » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:45 pm

I'll be buying a Surly Long Haul Trucker soon, which will be the bike I will use for riding up to Yosemite. I'm sure that I won't be able to make the trip in one day, so I'll need to find a motel, or better yet, someplace for stealth camping .. Any suggestions?

balzaccom wrote:I've done some cyclingin the area...starting from Sonora and heading up to Crane Flat. It's a long, steady climb with a couple of really steep sections. I don't know what kind of cyclist you are, but when I am climbing, I don't like to drag an extra 50 pounds with me...

Are you thinking of pulling a trailer? I think that is probably the best bet, but it's a lot of work for that kind road. As I recall, the first 35 miles or so from Modesto up 120 is pretty flat, but then you get another 45 or so that is a good climb. If you can do that in one day, pulling a trailer, you have my admiration. From Crane Flat it's another stiff ride up to TM...about 35 miles with 3500 elevation gain there, too.

Don't get me wrong--I love cycling. But I prefer to ride my bike and have my wife meet me at the end of the ride--and that way she can take all the weight in the car with her.

If you DO, go, I really recommend the old road from Hodgdon MEadow over to the Tuolumne Grove. it's a steep climb at times, but simply wonderful. Probably better on a MT bike, but I did it a few years ago on a road bike...and only had to get off and walk around the baby heads once, when I was crossing a stream.
- Riding 4 Life
vja4Him

Postby balzaccom » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Between Modesto and Chinese Camp there is not much camping--unless you went down O'Byrnes Ferry Road...but that would be an adventure pulling a trailer. Once you get up by Moccasin, there would be some camping near the lake. And further up 120 there are more options. But those are a long haul.

And while you don't have to go up Old Priest Grade, you sure have to get up the new version, which is still a climb.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby vja4Him » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:20 pm

balzaccom wrote:Between Modesto and Chinese Camp there is not much camping--unless you went down O'Byrnes Ferry Road...but that would be an adventure pulling a trailer. Once you get up by Moccasin, there would be some camping near the lake. And further up 120 there are more options. But those are a long haul.

And while you don't have to go up Old Priest Grade, you sure have to get up the new version, which is still a climb.

Sounds like a difficult ride from Modesto to Yosemite. Maybe I could get somebody to give me a ride past Oakdale, and start from there, then find a place to camp before Yosemite?
- Riding 4 Life
vja4Him

Postby Wickett » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:48 pm

Old priest is a lot shorter though, all the bigger traffic has to take the longer route. A car is a lot more manuverable than an RV or semi, and going slower on Old Priest.

Nasty incline though...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Uh---wicket? He is riding a bicycle and pulling a traler. He ain't gonna make it up Old Priest Grade...and if he tries, he is going to get clobbered by some joker in a hurry in a pick up truck.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:19 am

gwegan wrote:I'm going to suggest a alternate route.
Hwy 120 from Modesto has some serious grades (old Priest Grade to name one).
Have fun

balzaccom wrote:And while you don't have to go up Old Priest Grade, you sure have to get up the new version, which is still a climb..

balzaccom wrote:Uh---wicket? He is riding a bicycle and pulling a traler. He ain't gonna make it up Old Priest Grade...and if he tries, he is going to get clobbered by some joker in a hurry in a pick up truck.

I was just mentioning that the bigger traffic that cannot stop as fast is on the road you mentioned. I know how steep Old Priest is and have come across cyclists on it, and have been going slow and given them plenty of room. Its a matter of a long medium grade with large RV's, busses, and semi's, or a quick steep climb with cars and SUV's. Most tourist go up the long way because they do not kknow about Old Priest, the one's who normally use it have been up and down it a few times.

I have almost been hit in my truck twice on the long route, while no close calls on Old Priest.

All that being said, I do not have a lot of cycling expertise, so I was just throwing in my casual observations.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:33 am

Fair enough. The big differences for me:

Old Priest is MUCH steeper. I am a serious cyclist, and it is a real tough climb. WIth a trailer? I doubt I could make it.

And it is also MUCH narrower. There are shoulders on the new road, and Old Priest is way too narrow for two cars and a bicycle. Will the cars slow down and wait for a safe place to pass? I doubt it. They don't on any other road. At least on the newer road, you have a little shoulder room. This is particularly true when you are pulling a trailer, and can't maneuver well at all.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking