Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Early June hikes

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Early June hikes

Postby dash » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:15 pm

My husband and I will be visiting Yosemite for the first time in June. :D We only have 2 full days and one half day.
**What are the MUST SEE sights for that short time?
**What are the best hikes scenery/photograph wise?
**Any Suggested Tour Itineraries?

Any direction is GREATLY appreciated!!
dash

Rafting

Postby dash » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Anyone do rafting down the Merced River?
dash

Re: Rafting

Postby dan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:20 am

dash wrote:Anyone do rafting down the Merced River?

Yes. It was a blast. You can go down as fast or slow as you like. You rent rafts at the bike rental in Curry Village and put in below Stoneman Bridge. You float down a few miles and a truck at the end take you and your raft back to Curry.

It's only open when the stream level is high enough. That's usually in June and early July. Call the bike rental to see if they are open before going.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Early June hikes

Postby dan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:27 am

I would take the Valley Floor tour. Sign up at any of the hotels. There's a staffed reservation desk at Yosemite Lodge. It's a ranger-led tour in a open air tram that takes you around the valley. It's a good way to familiarize yourself with Yosemite Valley if you haven't been there.

The must see sights, I think, are the falls. Yosemite Falls and Bridalveil falls are short walks. A longer walk is to Vernal Falls.

The best view of Yosemite Valley is Glacier Point. It's a good place to catch on the way in or out.

If you have time, you can see the Giant Sequoias at the southern end of the park near Wawona at Mariposa Grove. There are smaller groves closer to the valley (Merced Grove and Tuolumne Grove).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dash » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:29 am

GREAT! Im glad you had fun! I hope we will be able to go!

So do you think the stream level will be high enough in early June?

Thanks for the Valley Floor tour tip!
dash

Postby dan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 am

dash wrote:So do you think the stream level will be high enough in early June?

Yes, but another problem is it could be too high (flood stage). Cross your fingers.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby dash » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:40 am

OH NO REALLY?!?! :cry: So the level has to be PERFECT?! Now it says online you should book it about a month in advance. Will they know that far in advance if it will be ok or should we just wait till we get there and go and book it? I just dont want them to be all full and not be able to go.

Also, how is the weather? What kind of clothes shoud we bring for hiking? Just layers?

Thanks so much for your help Dan!
dash

Postby dan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Perfect is not flooding and not dry. You don't need to book in advance, although YCS probably likes to sell them in advance. In any case you get a refund if they are not running (of the raft rental). I booked it the day I did it. There are plenty of slots (rafts) available and the truck continually brings rafts (and people) from downstream all day.

If you're going in June, it's warm during the day and cold at night, usually, but it can rain. The biggest problem I see hiking is heat stroke and people not bringing enough water (for the all day hikes, a few hours doesn't matter). See this climate chart:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/faq/1.html#climate
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking