Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

New to Yosemite and need advice plz.

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

New to Yosemite and need advice plz.

Postby markk22 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:56 am

First time to the park and will be there July 27 for 4-5 days. Me and the wife want to fit in as many day hikes as possible and maybe a overnight hike. Right now I have info overload so looking for some sound advice. We are both in great shape and like to hike so it doesn't hae to be easy trails.

Bad thing is were not sure how much gear we will be able to bring due to flying in. We have plans to do other sites in CA so our bag space is some what limited. Tent? Will we need one?

I for sure would like to do Clouds Rest but my biggest question is: Can it be done round trip from Tenya lake if we drive up from the valley that morning? Or would it be best to camp up there over night and start early? Is there a place to camp at Tenya lk? Would it be a good hike to camp at Sunrise lake then start out on the JMT and cut back to clouds rest? My thinking is that would not be back-tracking down the same route. Not sure if thats a good idea or not.
From the looks of it, it would be a bit tough to hike it from the valley in one day.

I would also like to do the 4 mile trail and the panoramic trail. Any advice on the best route for these? Should we do the bus to GP and hike downs like its suggested? Where is the best place to start on the panoramic trail and still be able to get back to our car by nightfall?

Is there any other hikes that might be better since were both newbies to the park?

Any and all help would be greatly appricated!
markk22

Postby john » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:34 am

I spent 7 days in the backcountry at this time of year last year without a tent. I wouldn't say you need one, but you may want one.

As for Clouds Rest, it's very cool but also a long dayhike from either direction. You may be able to do it in a day, but it will wreck you. I would suggest an overnight trip going in from Tenaya to Sunrise Lakes. Its a short hike and there is great camping at the second lake. Next morning blast out to Clouds Rest and back out to Tenaya. Even then it will be a long day, but will still be enjoyable. You will need a permit for Sunrise Lakes trialhead to do this. Have fun!
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:04 pm

From Tenaya Clouds is 12 miles. If you are in good shape you should
be able to do this dayhike. You could also consider taking the hikers
bus to Tenaya and dayhike all the way down to the valley..
I mentioned this in some other post... check there for mileage, etc.
The wifey and myself dayhiked dayhike clouds ... drive from San Jose,
up Clouds..., drive home. Look at the profile and decide if it's for you...

If you can dayhike Tenaya->Happy Isles then you might want to try
4 Mile->Glacier Pt.->Panorama Trail down to Mist Trail->Happy Isle.
Again, not for the meek but if you are in great shape...

For that many days you might want to do just dayhikes.
North Dome
Yosemite Falls
Clouds (as above)
4 Miles

There are loads of dayhikes in Tuolumne too...
I wouldn't bother overnight since you are flying in. Just my 2 cents...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby travelster » Sat May 23, 2009 11:50 pm

Definitely go up under Bridal Veil. It's a very short hike. Also, it's not too far to hike from the road to Yosemite lower falls. Those aren't very strenuous at all but still let you walk and see some beautiful sites.

el capitan 1
half dome 2
yosemite falls 3
nevada falls 4
All of these hikes are very hard and only if you are in top shape can you do any of these. to give you an example, hiking to half dome is a 12 hour hike and takes a lot of stamana. If you want to take a hike the whole family can go on from 10 years old and up, then hike up to vernal falls, which is the same trail as nevada falls and half dome. Then if you make it to vernal falls and want to go further like to nevada falls, then go for it. Just remember that to do half dome you must start out very early in the morning to complete it in 1 day. By the way vernal falls is called the mist trail and very beautiful as well as all the others.
travelster

Postby balzaccom » Sun May 24, 2009 8:31 pm

Clouds Rest is not difficult--although I remember it being closer to 15 miles from Olmstead Point, not 12. But if you hike a little over two miles an hour, that an 8 hour hike. Start at 8:30, make the top by 12:30 and back at the trailhead at 4:30. Take it easy, keep moving, and it will be fine.

If it were me, I wouldn't hike 4 mile trail---I would drive the road to Glacier point, hike down to illiloutte Falls, and then also hike to Sentinel Dome.

And I would do the Vernal/Nevada Trail. And I would do Cathedral Lakes.

Four days, four great hikes.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon May 25, 2009 11:07 am

Ok. Let's call it 14. (Clouds from Sunrise TH) (not Olmsted)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

That's round trip

Postby BrendanSF » Mon May 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Just to be clear, it's about 12-13 miles round trip from Tenaya Lake (Sunrise Trailhead) to Cloud's Rest. Moderate elevation gain, a little over 2000 ft including ups and downs. Too us about 8 hours including a leisurely lunch at the summit.
BrendanSF
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking