Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Loop backpack ideas?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Loop backpack ideas?

Postby belowi » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:34 pm

I am planning a 3-4 night backpack in Yosemite in late June. Without knowing much except from reading as much as I can get my hands on, I'm thinking I'd like to do a loop from either Tenaya Lake or TM, my goal is to hit both Clouds Rest and Half Dome and to see as much as possible. I'd prefer to do a loop if possible, any ideas on good routes?
One idea I had was to start at Tenaya Lake, hike part of the way to Clouds rest day 1 (travel day), pass through Clouds Rest day 2 and camp near Half Dome, climb half dome early next morning then hike further up the JMT , maybe half of the way to the Sunrise High Sierra Camp, and then hike out to Tenaya day 4.
belowi
Regular
Regular

Postby hiker97 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:15 pm

Sounds like you've done some great research and know what you like. If you enjoy breathtaking views (i.e. Clouds Rest, Half Dome) then that would be a great loop trip. As for me, I know I enjoy water and thus a loop trip out of TM would be moreso my ideal, but you've got a good trip planned. Just watch out for mosquitos at the end of June. It all depends on snowmelt but that is usually a prime time of year for plenty of mosquitos in certain areas. At that time of year, I find a campfire to be a real refuge if I'm in a place where you can have a campfire. Last year we were up at Vogelsang above 10,000' with no campfires allowed in early July...not a pretty sight. I'd say you're in for a wonderful trip.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:19 am

Hi. My apologies if I offend everyone but...
I would ask you to seriously consider not having a campfire at all.
Enjoy the wilderness with as little impact as possible. Just think of
how many people are hiking the hike that you are doing.
I know for me I find fire rings to be a huge eyesore.
They are typically put in "prime" real-estate, make a huge mess
of the area, and smell. I go to the wilderness for the fresh air...
You have a sleeping bag so you certainly don't need it for the
heat. And no animals are going to harm you in Yosemite.
Anyway, I'll get off the soapbox but idealy for me
there should be as little human impact as possible.

As for your hike.... that is probably one of the more popular routes
in the park now... (see the "water?" thread)
You plan is good.. it should give you plenty of time to explore and
really enjoy the trip... I'd give yourself 4 days to be safe.
Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby belowi » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:49 pm

Thanks for the replies, this board is an incredible resource. I would love to start up at TM and head by Cathedral Peak and make a loop to hit half dome and clouds rest over 4 nights, but should I give up on the loop idea and plan a one way backpack that uses the shuttle to return to make a better trip out of it?
And secondly, are mosquitoes likely to make the trip miserable around the Cathedral or Sunshine lakes? I had been leaving those spots out because I don't feel like being skeeter bait.
belowi
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:34 pm

I put a reply on _Gabe_'s mosquito post.

I would NOT plan around mosquitos to not stay at or visit a lake.
You may actually get some relief at a lake if the wind is blowing.
Just be prepared for them and deal with it.
Hopefully they won't be super thick when you go.
Last year they were terrible above about 9400ft. all the way to 11000
on July 4th.
I would go expecting them to be thick then when it's not too bad
you'll be happy not upset that they are bugging you.

I don't go without a tent in Late June thru July. Can't stand them buzzing
me when I'm trying to sleep. :)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 pm

I agree with bill--and not just on the mosquitoes. Bring somet bug dope and be prepared to climb into the tent if they are really fierce...but it's rare for them to bother you all day long---just when you want to sit and relax!

Then again, last year we spend almost three weeks backpacking in various places in the Sierra after July 15 and saw a total of about 10 mosquitoes.

As for campfires--if it's really cold, and there is a fire pit already made, I make a fire. But I will NEVER create a new firepit,...and often camp above the fire limit anyway.

Hard to grill trout on a stove, though!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hiker97 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:23 am

On the campfire topic, I do use only the existing fire rings as well in established camp site areas, and obviously only the dead and down wood. Going without a camp fire is definitely desirable for the environment but they are enjoyable for lots of us as well.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the mosquito topic, though, but maybe they just like me a lot! I just can't get into them being so thick that when you take a bite of food, thus lifting up the head netting, that a few of them get in and bite your face or forehead. For me and guys I backpack with, avoiding that season is the best option. If you are not bothered by them, then that is a fabulous season to go, with the green meadows and much more spectacular streams and waterfalls. I guess I can say my photos and memories of the beautiful green early July backcountry will last "forever" and my 4 dozen bites on my hands and face only lasted a week or so. Plus the traffic is lighter due to some of us avoiding those mosquitos! Enjoy!
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:50 am

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you on the mosquitos.
I hate them with with a passion.
What I was getting at is that there is a very good chance that
they will be bad EVERYWHERE in early July... so don't say
let's not stay here cause they're bad... you're place up ahead may be worse!
(been there... done that! curse you mosquito gods!!!)
Me... I'll even go so far as cook just outside the tent with my butt
being in the tent and eating in the tent to get away from
the little buggers!
:)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hiker97 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Agreed!
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster