Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Packable Fishing Pole

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Packable Fishing Pole

Postby johnstream » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:20 am

I'm planning on a September trip into the Vogelsang area and I'd like to do some fishing while I'm out there.

What do you all recommend for lightweight tackle? I've heard the basic lures work pretty well out there. Rooster tails, etc.
johnstream
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:51 am

Check with the fishing boards as well. I am a fly-fisher, so I use a four-piece 5wt rod...and just take along one small box of about 50 flies---mostly in about six types. The fish in the high country aren't usually picky, and they aren't usually huge--so you can get by with pretty minimal equipment.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby john » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:18 pm

I think flies are the best to use. I also have a 4 piece 5 wt rod. Lakes can be tough with flies unless you fish the right hours, but most any stream will be filled with eager trout that will hit any fly you toss their direction, any time of day. I should clarify...any small stream will. The bigger rivers that get more pressure and contain much more wiley trout, that are much more of a challenge.
If your using spinning gear, then lakes can be much easier. Any trout lure (Mepps, Panther Martin, Kastmaster) will get hits. Even if you using spinning gear I would recommend using a fly dropper tied to a bubble (bobber) to fish the early and late hours. Nothing like seeing a trout hammer a dry fly on still water.
BTW, there are a lot of lakes in Yosemite that do not contain fish anymore as the stocking of all Yosemite lakes stopped years ago. Look into the lake you plan to go to or you will catch nothing but weeds.
Have fun!
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby rusty6174 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:01 am

Even if you've never tried it, pick up a fly rod for Yosemite. Long casts are not usually necessary, so you don't have to be experienced. You can get a 6 or 7 piece fly rod for a reasonable price from Cabelas or Temple fork outfitters that will pack down to 16-18". A 3-4 weight rod would be really fun. Nearly everywhere you hike in Yosemite you can catch wild trout. It's incredible.
rusty6174

Postby Heybooboo » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:15 pm

Oh you fly rod guys. I just use my claws and teeth, its best when the fish just jump right out of the water into my mouth.

Ha Ha Ha
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking