Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Kibbie Lake X Country?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Kibbie Lake X Country?

Postby balzaccom » Tue May 19, 2009 6:17 am

Has anyone hiked out of Kibbie Lake to the lakes on the south side of the crest? this would mean going around Kibbie ( I assume on the southeast side) and then up the canyon to Little Bear or Spotted Fawn Lakes?

I am looking at that as a possibility at the end of May...and would love some local knowledge.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Tue May 19, 2009 6:41 am

This has been discussed in this thread:
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560

And yes, I highly recommend it. I really like this part of the Park. Most people only go to Kibbie. If you are willing to go cross country, you can have some of the best solitude in the park.

I had planned to go out Styx Pass towards Mercur (as far as the snow would allow us) a few weeks back, but overtime at work came in the way, unfortunately. However, you shouldn't have anything to worry about snow wise at the end of May early June.

Bill-e-g has some excellent knowledge of that area.

I have been to Little Bear, and I wasn't super impressed. Boundary was nicer, but there was only one decent campsite at Boundary. The odds are that you will most likely have it to yourself. Although, the time I was there, I accidentally interrupted a backcountry tryst between two rangers. I haven't been to Spotted Fawn, so I can't comment on it.

The way I did was: in to Kibbie the first day (it was off working a graveyard with no sleep for over 24 hours, so not much progress the 1st day). Up the ridge onto Flora the 2nd day. From Flora, cross country to Boundary the 3rd. Then out Styx Pass back to the parking lot the 4th day. It may be difficult going cross country when the water is flowing early in the season and getting from Flora to Boundary though...

However, if your destination is Spotted Fawn/Little Bear, it would be a good deal easier to go in the Sachse Springs to Styx Pass route to Boundary Lake. It is probably more miles in, but its on a pretty decent trail and you'd make better time.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Snow Question and crowd question for Kibbie and Many Island

Postby SocratesDavis » Tue May 19, 2009 11:05 am

I will be bringing some of my wrestlers to Yosemite this weekend (Memorial Day). We go on one of three hikes typically dictated by snow, but I am thinking of this one.

Anyone with intel about snow at Many Island. I see snow levels are at 7000 and that is below where Many Island is, but I thought with the recent heat wave maybe it is doable to cam there. Thanks in advance for any current updates.

Also, since I have never there what are crowds like at a place like Kibbie or even Many Island? I know that the farther you walk the less people you get, but it seems that it could be a crowded place this weekend. We would rpefer as most would to go where few people are.

Humbly,
Chris
"Do what you can with what you have where you are!" -Teddy Roosevelt
SocratesDavis
First-timer
First-timer

Postby bill-e-g » Tue May 19, 2009 5:37 pm

If I were going to Many Islands I would plan on hiking in snow from
Sache Spring on at this time of year. In other words I would
prepare myself to hike in full snow coverage from there north.
If there is less wonderful... but I'd set my brain to expect alot of snow...

Kibbie Lake will be very busy this weekend for sure.
I highly doubt that it will not hit it's quota.
Please read the link above for more info on this area...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking