Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

4 Mile Trail - Panoramic Trail loop: best direction?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

4 Mile Trail - Panoramic Trail loop: best direction?

Postby BrendanSF » Mon May 25, 2009 10:27 am

I'm planning a loop hike from the Valley to Glacier Point, going up either the 4 Mile Trail or the Panoramic Trail (from Nevada Falls) and down the other, possibly next weekend.

Which trail would you recommend for the "up" portion of the hike? I heard the views are great on 4 Mile Trail in the down direction, any other considerations?
BrendanSF
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Mon May 25, 2009 11:05 am

Hands down I'd hike UP the Mist trail to Nevada... and down the 4 Mile Trail.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon May 25, 2009 12:54 pm

People go down and pay twenty bucks for the tour bus ride back to the top where they parked. The 4 mile trail is actually a bit longer, and once you go down it you won't want to go back up. I'd go up from Happy Isles and down the 4 mile.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby airrj » Mon May 25, 2009 10:40 pm

I love 4 mile trail. In my opinion it is the best trail to hike out of the valley. Every summer I do up 4 mile and then down panorama and then the Mist or JMT. 4 mile just has good shade areas, great views, and a steady climb without alot of stairs. You do get great views as you decend as well, but on the way up you just stop for a short breather from time to time and enjoy the scenery.

Either way it is a great trip. Enjoy.
R.J.
airrj
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking