Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Backpacking itinerary: Yosemite Valley --> Tuolumne Meado

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Backpacking itinerary: Yosemite Valley --> Tuolumne Meado

Postby mog70 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Hi there,

I'm looking for advice/feedback on this itinerary.

We are a group of 3-4 "intermediate" backpackers. We're looking to do a 4-5 day hike around the weekend of July 25-26. Probably arriving ~July 23rd. Since many of the more popular wilderness permits are already booked, we are thinking of starting from one of these 3 trailheads: Happy Isles->Illilouette or Glacier Point->Illilouette or Mono Meadow. We'd like to end up at Tuolumne meadows. The itinerary might be something like:

* Day1: Start at Happy Isles (or Bus to Glacier Pt). Camp near Illilouette creek
* Day2: Camp near Sunrise Creek (Past Junction w/Half Dome)
* Day3: Camp at Campgroud Sunrise
* Day4: Camp at Cathedral Lake
* Day5: Hike out to Toulumne Meadows, bus back to Valley

Here are my questions:
1) How does this *rough* itinerary sound?

2) What are some good camping possibilities for the first night (near Illilouette creek)? What restrictions, if any, are there for where we camp the first night (Given the 3 trailheads I mentioned)?

3) What are some good camping possibilities for the second night (starting beyond LYV)?

4) When looking at trailhead availability page, do we only need to see availability for the 1st day of our trip? Or can we have to see availability for each day we are out?

5) As we head NE from beyond the turnoff for half-dome, looks like we have at least two possible routes. Which one is better? By way of 'Clouds Rest', or 'Sunrise Creek'?

6) Merced lake is a little bit out of the way, but is it worth a side-trip? Any other possible side-trips that are worthy of mention?

7) What are some good places to camp in the area of Cathedral Lake? Any nice places that aren't swamped with other hikers?

Thanks!
Dan
mog70

Re: Backpacking itinerary: Yosemite Valley --> Tuolumne M

Postby Dave Miller » Thu May 28, 2009 7:44 am

I'm am not completely familiar with all of the areas you plan, but can answer a few of your questions.

mog70 wrote:2) What are some good camping possibilities for the first night (near Illilouette creek)? What restrictions, if any, are there for where we camp the first night (Given the 3 trailheads I mentioned)?

For Illilouette creek, you have to go beyond a 3.5 mile buffer. There are a couple of really nice spots just past that zone along a creek that feeds into Illilouette. You can go past that if you want to put in more miles. When we were there last year, we setup camp and then explored the area for the rest of the day.

mog70 wrote:4) When looking at trailhead availability page, do we only need to see availability for the 1st day of our trip? Or can we have to see availability for each day we are out?

The trailhead quotas are only for the first night. Once you have completed your first night's stay, the rest of the park is open to you. So after your stay at Illiouette, you have lots of options to make it up to Tuolumne.

mog70 wrote:6) Merced lake is a little bit out of the way, but is it worth a side-trip? Any other possible side-trips that are worthy of mention?

The obvious side-trips are Half Dome and Cloud's Rest. Both are memorable. Of course, you have to deal with the crowds at Half Dome (unless you start early). Cloud's Rest is also a worthy venture. Less crowded and a spectacular view. My favorite trail in Yosemite follows the Merced River from Little Yosemite Valley to Merced Lake. I've heard the area referred to as the Merced River Gorge and Merced River Corridor.

I don't thing you have set an aggressive itinerary. What ever routes you choose, you won't be disappointed.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

More Questions

Postby mog70 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks Dave for the useful inputs!

Any additional advice/answers from other people out there?

I have a few more questions:
A) Thinking about the possibility of doing this whole trek in reverse, but I see that the Trailheads for the Tuolumne Meadows area are all booked up (e.g. Cathedral Lakes & Rafferty Creek->Vogelsang). I'm curious about the trailhead listed as: "Budd Creek (cross-country only)". It's wide open. Can we use that to start from Tuolumne meadows and camp the first night somewhere near budd creek???

B) Dave, what exactly is the 3.5 mile buffer? From where does it start? Do you have the GPS coordinates for the nice camp spots you mentioned?

C) It seems there are only 2 buses daily from Tuolumne Meadows back to the valley (one at ~9am, and another at ~2pm). That doesn't leave a whole lot of options. Anyone know of any other public transportation service that goes later in the day?

Again, thanks for any inputs --

Dan
mog70

Postby Dave Miller » Thu May 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Dan,
Not familiar with Budd Creek. If you could get to the park first thing in the morning the day before you want to start your trek, you could go for one of the walkup permits and still have Illilouette as a backup.

The buffer zone I talked about is really a no camping zone and was told to me by a Ranger at the Wilderness Center. It is not listed on any topo maps that I have.

Here's a link to the track I created with the waypoint marked:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip ... ipId=56287

Enjoy!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu May 28, 2009 3:51 pm

You cannot camp on Budd Creek or anywhere near Budd Lake.
Pretty much you have to be over the Cathedral Range.
(south or west of the crest)

Get the National Geographic Topo Trails Illustrated map.
If you stay out of the "purple" areas you are good.

Most people do not want "xcountry" stuff so that is why Budd is
wide-open. It's a much steeper climb in comparison to Cath. Lakes.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking