Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

backpacking june 3rd

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

backpacking june 3rd

Postby wooky999 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:57 pm

does anyone know where i can pick up my wilderness permits i reserved. Im coming up on a wednesday June 3rd from the 120 tioga pass and trying to stay overnight in toulemme to start our hike in the morning. We will probably get to toulemme around 9pm on Wednesday. And is there gonna be a problem getting a shuttle to take us back up to our car in Toulemme on that Sunday from Curry Village.
wooky999
Regular
Regular

Postby Dave Miller » Thu May 28, 2009 7:24 am

You can get your permit at any of the Wilderness Centers. There is one at the 120 entrance and one in Tuolumne.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildcond.htm

I don't know if the backpacker's camp is open at Tuolumne. I would assume so, hopefully someone can post that info or you can call the Wilderness Permit office (209/372-0740). I've found I can usually get through in the afternoon.

I found a link online for the Tuolumne Hiker's Bus, but I don't know if it is actually operating right now. http://www.yosemitepark.com/Activities_ ... adows.aspx. There is a fee for the bus. I'd recommend that you call them at 209-372-4386 to see if the busses are running. Last year they didn't start until June 6.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Re: backpacking june 3rd

Postby dan » Thu May 28, 2009 10:35 am

I haven't heard anyting about Tuolumne Campground (which includes the Backpackers Campground) opening. It's kind of early--the road is barely open and it takes several days to get the facilities and staffing ready. Here's estimated opening dates:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campground.htm
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby wooky999 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:34 am

thanks everyone for the info, i'll let you know how it goes
wooky999
Regular
Regular

Postby wooky999 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:41 am

hey guys just called the reservation office, and they said that the shuttles are not running that weekend, so im trying to figure out if I am starting from Toulemme Meadows and going to Happy Isles and i leave my car at Toulemme, how am i going to get back up to my car from the valley.
wooky999
Regular
Regular

Postby wooky999 » Thu May 28, 2009 11:50 am

found out that yarts has a shuttle out of the visitors center to toulemme at 5pm on Sunday,,, that could work, does anyone know if there is any other way of getting up to toulemme later, i would hate to have to rush out.
wooky999
Regular
Regular

Postby Dave Miller » Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 pm

There is always your thumb! Actually, from my understanding, hitchhiking is legal in Yosemite. That is how I got back to my car last September after I found out the buses had stopped running.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby oakroscoe » Fri May 29, 2009 2:30 am

Dave Miller wrote:There is always your thumb! Actually, from my understanding, hitchhiking is legal in Yosemite. That is how I got back to my car last September after I found out the buses had stopped running.

I was unaware of that. But Yosemite is the one place I would pick up a hitchhiker, granted he/she would have to be a backpacker though!
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking