Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking the mist trail

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking the mist trail

Postby dineshk » Fri May 29, 2009 6:47 am

Hi all,
I have only recently moved to California and now want to visit the famous Yosemite falls in their full flow. I am planning to hike the mist trail up to the top of the Nevada falls this Saturday (May 30). However, I see that there are occasional thundershowers predicted for this weekend. Should I be worried (I will hike no further than top of Nevada falls)? If not, are there any can't miss sights that aren't well marked on the trail? (I almost missed the oh my gosh point in the upper Yosemite falls trail). Thanks for all your help and input.
dineshk

Postby AlmostThere » Fri May 29, 2009 8:16 pm

I'm going up to Nevada tomorrow with a very large group of people, unless some of them freak about the weather. I wouldn't worry unless you intend to go all the way to Half Dome - tops of peaks are a bad idea in the rain, due to risk of lightening coming in and to the slickness of wet granite.

The steps near Vernal are always wet anyway because of the falls. Take rain gear of your choice for if it really pours.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking