Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

in desperate need of advice

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

in desperate need of advice

Postby wooky999 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:24 am

Just talked to the Ranger from the Toulemne Station. My trip was from TM to Sunrise to LYV to Happy Isles. The ranger said that there is a good amount of snow up there and that there is a pretty swift river crossing, also the trails are covered with snow so i need to be good at a map and compass. Since Im new to backcountry backpacking and also doing it with snow, I am a little hesitant, and dont want to put myself in a bad situation. I have the gear to be ok, but not the experience right now. Does anyone know of any alternative to this trip, maybe at lower elevations. My manhood wants to tell myself to just go do it, but I know that that is complete wrong and stupid so i wont. We do not want to not just camp down in the valley. The ranger said to just come up and they can adjust the reservation. He also said that they will be short man'ed on thursday for advice about the area, they have some meeting that alot of the expienced rangers have to be at, so thats why im ask everyone here. Please try to help me save this trip, thanks
wooky999
Regular
Regular

Postby Heybooboo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:53 am

Wooky, Look at some past posts in this area from April and May. There are some good ideas regarding Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne,GCT, billeg and others tend to favor this area. Their enthusiasm about this area has my interest piqued to go here in late fall.

good luck
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:08 pm

If you want to hike from 120 to the valley try one of these two maybe:
Lukens TH down to Yosemite Falls. There are two crossings where
you will need to cross on log(s). If you are not comfortable with that
then...
try Porcupine Crk. TH (North Dome) down to North Dome and then
over to the Falls and down to Valley.

Anything above about 8.5K expect huge amounts o snow.
Any creek is gonna be flowing really really well right now.

Even Grand Canyon of Tuolumne may have alot of issues in it
for another couple weeks. Morrison Creek may stop alot of people.

Good Luck & Be Safe
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking