Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

emigrant wilderness last weekend

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

emigrant wilderness last weekend

Postby balzaccom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:14 pm

Just a quick note about our trip. lots of snow above 8,000 feet, and most of the trails had some serious water issues...

But what wonderful country. And after three days in the back country, the three of us could count a total of two (2) ! mosquito bites. yeah, there were a few in evidence...but nothing to worry about.

Here's a link to the photos. Bear Lake is about 7700 ft, Granite Lake is over 8500 ft.

http://picasaweb.google.com/balzaccom/E ... ilderness#
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:37 am

Thanks for the trip update and photos. I need to take more pictures. I haul my camera and extra batteries on every trip but never remember to pull the damned thing out...
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby cornbread » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:01 am

Nice. I assume you started from the Crabtree Trailhead, so Crabtree road is open now?
cornbread

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Crabtree is open...and has been for at least ten days? But Gianelli was still closed by snow last weekend...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:13 pm

very nice

I seldom visit the Emigrant due to the large quantities of horse poop
I invariably find strew everywhere there. Kennedy Meadows to
Relief... argh!

Anyway! THANKS for the Photos! What I was getting at is that it
looks like I just need to go at this time of the year to check it out!
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:11 am

Hi BIll

We only saw one group of three horsemen on the whole trip. But then again, a lot of our hiking was off the trail. Still, the place hasn't really opened up yet, and that means a lot less traffic of all kinds.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby go bears » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:54 pm

balzaccom: how were the river/stream crossings? i'm heading out fourth of july weekend and wanted to make sure it was uneventful as far as river crossings go...
thanks!

al
go bears
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:08 am

We didn´t really have any trouble--but we didn´t tackle any of the bigger crossings. I think if you take your time, and look for a safe place, it won´t be too bad. But I know one group that turned around at Piute Creek because it was just to hairy...

we didn´t get that far.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby go bears » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:52 am

thanks, balzaccom.
ideally, i'd like to go out of crabtree. any recommendations for fishing in the gem lakes area?
the trip is a week and a half out and i'm hoping/praying that the bugs hold off until after we have our trip...!
go bears
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:43 am

I would NOT recommend Gem Lake for fishing. Seemed pretty dead when I was there last September. But lots of fish in Deer Lake, Wood Lake...and the Bucks Lakes were also nice.

Bear in mind that I fly fish only, and so your mileage may vary.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby go bears » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 am

thanks for the info! my concern is the mileage from Crabtree and that this will be my girlfriend's second backpacking trip... i don't want to walk her into the ground (and myself for that matter! :cry: ) in search of the elusive fish... we'll be camping for three nights... perhaps the first night at at Piute or Gem, second at Buck and the third on the way out at Piute or Gem...
thanks so much for the info... i want to fish and catch some nice brookies, but don't think the tradeoff of an angry girlfriend is worth it...! :oops:
go bears
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking