Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

High Country Weather?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

High Country Weather?

Postby breadly » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:17 am

So... i'd been planning to pack out to Ostrander lake, loop over to Empire Meadows and out this coming weekend (6/6-6/8). When i called a week ago to reserve my wilderness passes the fellow on the line said 'it should be pretty dry out there by then'. however, the weather report this week calls for rain (snow?) all the way through monday...

Is this a bad hike given the weather conditions? Will there be heavy snow on the trails? Will the creek crossings be un-managaeable?

Looking for advice before i call off the trip.
breadly
First-timer
First-timer

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Based on my trip last weekend

Yes, it will rain. If you are not prepared for that, you will be miserable.

Yes, there will be PLENTY of snow above 8000 feet--particularly on the north slopes. So where the trail goes on the north side of any hill or mountain, you will see solid snow. If you don't have good route finding skills, you won't be able to find the trail.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking