Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Can MSR type fuel be shipped to post office?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Can MSR type fuel be shipped to post office?

Postby tm » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I'll be spending 12 days backpacking at the end of August and am wondering if I can have fuel canisters for my Snow Peak stove sent to the Post Office in Yosemite Village or some other place nearby. I'm worried that the village store may not have enough in stock. Last year I was only able to purchase three that time of year. Has anyone ever ordered from REI, etc and had it shipped to a location in the park?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

TM
tm
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby SAFNYC » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:48 pm

If you ship using the Post Office you will need declare the contents as "hazardous" material. They may or may not ship it for you. If you don't declare the contents it will probably get through undetected, but if there is any problem you can be held liable for damages (package explodes, etc) and you most certainly can expect a delay or total loss of the package in this case.

A better alternative is to ship with UPS.
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Can MSR type fuel be shipped to post office?

Postby dan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:08 pm

My understanding is you can ship it ground (surface only) and you have to declare what's in there when you mail the stuff.

Having REI or similar ship it for you may be a better idea so you don't end up with a USPS employee who doesn't know the rules when you try and ship it.

The Mountain Shop in the valley is well stocked (Tuolumne Market is hit or miss).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking