Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

3 day, 2 night trek mon-wed next week

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

3 day, 2 night trek mon-wed next week

Postby whitemtnhiker » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:59 am

Hello,
Definitely appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site. My fiancee and I are avid hikers in the White Mountains of NH, planning a 3 day/2 night trek in yosemite next monday-wednesday.

this trek is last minute thus we don't have wilderness permits at this time.

we are considering treks starting from glacier point, tuolomne meadows, or the valley. want to see some west coast distinction and wildlife, ideally w/o too much crowding. i plan on putting together a few itineraries, in case we can't get wilderness permits for a given starting point. We are used to hiking in snow and can bring snowshoes if the right route necessitates their use.

My questions for the forum are:
1. what are my chances of getting a wilderness permit next monday for glacier point, the valley, or TM?

2. Wondering if anyone is willing to share a nice 3 day hike that would be good to do this time of year (we are both in fairly good shape, have gone on multiple 20+ mile dayhikes last season, but would like to keep hiking time to 6-8 hours per day if possible for this trip)
- considering a glacier panoramic to mist, but would like to add to that to make it longer; or a glen aulin hike; or glacier to the west valley. but we are very open to any suggestions!

3. would a 3-day half dome excursion be super crowded this time of year?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!
whitemtnhiker

Postby danbo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm heading out on Monday as well. I too do not have a permit. There are some less popular trails that currently have availabilty and as some of the older post have indicated once you have spent the first night the rest of the park is fair game. This crazy weather should scare some people off. its snowing at around 9500 feet and the snow level is going to drop on friday to 8000 feet. Theres some interesting stuff to check out on the north rim that im considering as well as departing from Glacier point. maybe ill see ya at the Permit office. Hope this is helpful
danbo

Postby honsing » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 pm

I have a permit for July 3rd to the 7th to Glen Aulin/Waterwheel falls, but if by chance I can get one of those few and lucky Lyell Canyon permits by showing up EARLY (6 or 6:30 am, there will be a line), I'm definately going there instead of current permit. What I'd like to know is if I have to go the T.Meadow permit office or if I can stop off elsewhere (like Yosemite Valley en route). Good luck, you will have a good trip regardless of weather.
honsing
Regular
Regular

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:08 pm

It's my understanding that you can get a permit at any of the wilderness centers, however the priority goes to the closest wilderness center. For example, if you were at the valley center and someone else was at Tuolumne, and you both wanted a Tuolumne permit, the Tuolumne center gets first crack.

Have fun at Lyell, I was there last September and had a great time. Of course, it will be a bit different for you at this time of year.
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby Dave Miller » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 pm

to whitemtnhiker
My questions for the forum are:
1. what are my chances of getting a wilderness permit next monday for glacier point, the valley, or TM?

If you get to the wilderness center very early the day before your hike, you will have a better chance. They let the walkup permits go the day before. You can then stay at the backpacker's campground that night and be ready the next day. If you don't get what you are looking for, they release the no shows at 10:00am and you could luck out there.

2. Wondering if anyone is willing to share a nice 3 day hike that would be good to do this time of year (we are both in fairly good shape, have gone on multiple 20+ mile dayhikes last season, but would like to keep hiking time to 6-8 hours per day if possible for this trip)
- considering a glacier panoramic to mist, but would like to add to that to make it longer; or a glen aulin hike; or glacier to the west valley. but we are very open to any suggestions!

3. would a 3-day half dome excursion be super crowded this time of year?

I think it depends if you want to do a through hike or loop. Here's one way to incorporate Half Dome:
Day 1 - If you can get a Valley to Merced Lake permit, it's 13.1 miles and quite an elevation gain (4,000ft in the first 3 miles). If the 13 miles it too much (it would be for me) there are places along the Merced River corridor you can camp.

Day 2 - Merced Lake to JMT & Sunrise creek near the JMT / Half Dome junction. Approx 7 miles.

Day 3 - Get up early and head to half dome, then back down the mist trail.

This is just one of many possible routes, but one I think matches what you are looking for. I'm sure others will differing opinions.

Good luck and let us know how it went!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby whitemtnhiker » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:48 am

thank you everyone. will post after my trip!
h
whitemtnhiker

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking