Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

permits for Hiking from yosemite to inyo county

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

permits for Hiking from yosemite to inyo county

Postby xcorat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:02 am

Hi im planning a quick 3-4 day trip in yosemite/ toulumne. I was wondering, if I cannot get wilderness permits for either Lyell Canyon or Vogelsang, can I hike the mono lake trail and camp somewhere near Sardine Lakes, so that I am out of the Yosemite NP boundaries???

And how would be the trail conditions? if anyone know, its around 9000-10000ft..!
xcorat
Regular
Regular

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:52 am

You can camp pretty much anywhere in a national forest, so that isn't a problem. But the hike from Mono Lake to Tuolumne Meadows is brutal---you would be better off starting much higher. Wherever you start, you will need a wilderness permit, but the permits for the national forests are easier to get than the ones in Yosemite.

Yo don't say when you trip will happen...but it's still VERY snow above 9,000 feet.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Quick = 2 days before...lol

Postby xcorat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:46 am

Oh sorry, Its this Tuesday-Thursday, thats what I meant by quick...! lol,

I was thinking to start hiking from Tioga road. Can I start from there and camp in Inyo N. Forest with a wilderness permit for Inyo??? if then thatll be great..! (from Dana Meadows camp near sardine lakes??)

And snow level, is it really bad? or decent? i dont want to go to the valley since its gonna be really busy..! I will though if I have to..! how about JMT, Vogelsang and Lyell canyon? would I need snow shoes/ice axes/crampons?

thx a lot for the reply..!
xcorat
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:48 am

You can get Parker/Mono Pass permit and camp outside the park
boundry. You'll be able to get probably just about any permit
on Tuesday. Still plenty of snow as mentioned.

Here's a shot from yesterday from near Tioga Pass.
Gibbs rises on the left and on the right is the Kuna Crest.
You should not need any special equipment. Just walk on the snow.
I myself actually enjoy walking on the snow.
Weekend prior hiked all around Granite Basin in Kings and
didn't see anyone for 2 days... nice.

Here's the pict from near Tioga Pass:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dale.dekeys ... 6502557794
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking