Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Happy Isles to Red's Meadow - depart June 25

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Happy Isles to Red's Meadow - depart June 25

Postby zonachris » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:06 pm

So I'm all set for the trip (logistics, gear, wilderness permit, ect) but have a few tactical questions:

1) How bad are the bugs going to be? Should I bring a tennis racket to beat back the mosquitoes, or just some deet?

2) Trail conditions: Are any parts of the trail still under snow? If so, is navigation difficult? Is it going to be muddy? How cold at night should I expect it to be? I'm preparring for about 20 degrees.

3) The day before my permit is good for, I've arranged a ride to Toulmne, then taking the NP bus to Yosemite Valley. Its scheduled to arrive at 4:05. It appears that I have then 25 min to find the wilderness center to pick up permit and bear canister. Is this possible? Any suggestions? Is the bus time reliable? I don't want to wait till the center to open the next morning so I can start hiking early.

4) Planning on half dome on day one. When I drop pack near trail head from JMT, do I need to remove bear cannister? Do I have to worry about issues from 2 legged animals?

Any insight to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
zonachris
Regular
Regular

Re: Happy Isles to Red's Meadow - depart June 25

Postby dan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:07 am

1) Bugs are bad in June/July, unless you're in areas still under snow. Besides DEET, bring long sleeved shirt/pants and a mosquito headnet for the evening. Camp away from water, camp where it's dry, with a light breeze.

2) High country is under snow. It melts FAST in June, so you might be OK by June 25, since this is a lighter snow year. No guarantees. It should get down to the 30s at night. Maybe high 20s.

It should be enough time. Ask the bus driver. You should locate the Wilderness Center on a map beforehand.
http://www.yosemite.ca.us/maps/tuolumne_meadows_map.jpg

4) I would keep it off the trail. Remove the canister so bears don't rip your pack, but it's usually not a problem on a crowded trail like that during the day.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby zonachris » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks Dan! Really looking forward to the trek.
zonachris
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking