Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking Plan for 2 weeks in Yosemite: Did I miss any hikes?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Hiking Plan for 2 weeks in Yosemite: Did I miss any hikes?

Postby SAFNYC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:59 am

hi all,

I will be in Yosemite in July for 2 weeks starting Monday, July 6th. These are the day hikes I've prepared so far. Let me know what you guys think and, most importantly, if I missed any good scenery to fill in 3 day hikes still open!

Yosemite Valley Day Hikes
1) Lower Yosemite valley loop (El Capitan, Bridevail, Lower Yosemite Falls)
2) Upper Yosemite falls
3) Half Dome (via Vernon Falls, nevada falls)

Tioga Road Hikes
1) Tenaya Lake (Sunrise, Cathedral peak/Lakes)
2) Tuolumne Meadows (Pothole and Lembert domes, soda springs)
3) Gaylor Lakes + Mono Lake and Tufa castle

Northern Yosemite
1) Hetch Hetchy and surrounding falls

Southern Yosemite
1) Mariposa, Giant Sequioa's
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Dave Miller » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:58 am

Looks like you've got quite a list already. From Tioga, you may want to consider a loop hike from Porcupine Creek to North Dome. Don't forget to stop at Indian Rock before you get to North Dome. After North Dome head to Yosemite Point and then take a different trail (can't recall the name) back to Porcupine creek. You may also want to include Cloud's Rest on your list too.

Have a great trip!
Dave Miller
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 am

I would leave out the first hike---you will find in very crowded with people, traffic, bikes...i think it is easier to just take the shuttle around the valley and maybe hike Snow Creek Trail out of Mirror Lake/Pond/Creek/Swamp.

Yosemite Valley Day Hikes
1) Lower Yosemite valley loop (El Capitan, Bridevail, Lower Yosemite Falls)
2) Upper Yosemite falls
3) Half Dome (via Vernon Falls, nevada falls)

Ithink the hike from Olmstead Point to Cloud's Rest is a better hike than Half Dome...

Tioga Road Hikes
2) Tuolumne Meadows (Pothole and Lembert domes, soda springs) -(-you might have time to add some miles up Lyell Canyon, which is lovely)
3) Gaylor Lakes + Mono Lake and Tufa castle

Northern Yosemite
1) Hetch Hetchy and surrounding falls

Southern Yosemite
1) Mariposa, Giant Sequioa's

Sounds Good!
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SAFNYC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 am

balzaccom wrote:I would leave out the first hike---you will find in very crowded with people, traffic, bikes...i think it is easier to just take the shuttle around the valley and maybe hike Snow Creek Trail out of Mirror Lake/Pond/Creek/Swamp.

I am really looking forward to the lower yosemite vallley loop hike. I plan to hike it during the middle of the week. I've read that it gets very crowded but it's got to be less jammed during the weekdays compared to the weekends, right?
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:20 pm

SAFNYC wrote:I am really looking forward to the lower yosemite vallley loop hike. I plan to hike it during the middle of the week. I've read that it gets very crowded but it's got to be less jammed during the weekdays compared to the weekends, right?

You can hope so... Don't count on it.

I would substitute the Glacier Point Road hikes for Hetch Hetchy - in July, the lower elevations will be very, very hot and the waterfalls will be drying up. Wapama will still be flowing but I doubt the smaller falls will. Glacier Point Road affords you some really scenic walking along the Pohono trail. There's also Sentinel Dome, a great 360 degree look at things, and Ilillouette Falls - still busy but not stand in line, sit in traffic busy.

It's Vernal Falls, by the way. :)
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SAFNYC » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:09 pm

balzaccom wrote:Tioga Road Hikes
2) Tuolumne Meadows (Pothole and Lembert domes, soda springs) -(-you might have time to add some miles up Lyell Canyon, which is lovely)

I did some quick research on Lyell Canyon. I definitely want to hike in that area, it looks beautiful. Thanks for the tip. Here' s what I'm thinking...

Start at the Lyell Canyon TH, go south along the John Muir Trail through Lyell Canyon, then go south-east toward Evelyn Lake, continue to Fletcher Lake and camp at the High Sierra site at Vogelsang. Next morning go north on the Rafferty Creek trail all the way back to Tioga Road/Tuolumne TH.

What do you think?

Thanks again
SAF
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:52 pm

It's a beautiful hike...but you will have trouble getting a reservation at Vogelsang.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SAFNYC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:38 am

balzaccom wrote:It's a beautiful hike...but you will have trouble getting a reservation at Vogelsang.

Vogelsang has a few openings remaining in July, but I can't even get someone on the phone to make the reservation. I've been calling DNC all morning. Their answering service is terrible. There is no option to even wait on hold to speak with a rep. I have to leave a message and expect a response in 5-7 days.

At the Vogelsang site there is also a regular camp site. Maybe I will have better luck staying there.
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:19 am

North Dome
Elizabeth Lake
Budd Lake
Cathedral Lakes
Young Lakes
Glen Aulin
Mt. Dana
Mt. Hoffman
Sentinel Dome
Half Dome
Clouds Rest
Ostrander Lake
Lembert Dome
Upper Yosemte Falls
Wapama Falls

and so on...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SAFNYC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:39 am

bill-e-g wrote:North Dome
Elizabeth Lake
Budd Lake
Cathedral Lakes
Young Lakes
Glen Aulin
Mt. Dana
Mt. Hoffman
Sentinel Dome
Half Dome
Clouds Rest
Ostrander Lake
Lembert Dome
Upper Yosemte Falls
Wapama Falls

and so on...

Are those in order of scenic preference?
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

North Rim Loop

Postby BrendanSF » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:14 pm

Not sure what is your maximum mileage per day , but a great long dayhike I did last summer was the North Rim Loop: Up Snow Creek trail, across to Indian Rock and North dome, then down Yosemite Falls trail. About 18 miles total. Park in Day Use parking in the Village, then take the shuttle to the Mirror Lake trailhead to start.

Also, Mount Hoffman from May Lake is a classic dayhike peak ascent, all Class 1. The trail is not on the map but easy to find.
BrendanSF
Regular
Regular

Re: North Rim Loop

Postby SAFNYC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:38 pm

BrendanSF wrote:Not sure what is your maximum mileage per day , but a great long dayhike I did last summer was the North Rim Loop: Up Snow Creek trail, across to Indian Rock and North dome, then down Yosemite Falls trail. About 18 miles total. Park in Day Use parking in the Village, then take the shuttle to the Mirror Lake trailhead to start.

Also, Mount Hoffman from May Lake is a classic dayhike peak ascent, all Class 1. The trail is not on the map but easy to find.

For me 12 miles is max, and that's because I love taking photos, and I just purchased a new Canon DSLR just for this trip!

The Mt. Hoffman hike, that's mostly open, rocky terrain, right?
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby BrendanSF » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:22 am

The Mt Hoffman hike is rocky but there is a clear path the whole way. Trees for about the first 1/2 then open views of Cloud's Rest and mountains in all directions
BrendanSF
Regular
Regular

Postby SAFNYC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:56 am

BrendanSF wrote:The Mt Hoffman hike is rocky but there is a clear path the whole way. Trees for about the first 1/2 then open views of Cloud's Rest and mountains in all directions

I've added that hike to my list. I want to see May lake.

Thanks again!
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby SAFNYC » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:01 pm

I've revised my trip plan after reading through all the great comments, thanks again, and let me know what you think...

(In order of hikes)

DAY 1: Bridalveil Creek/Monroe Meadows, Mariposa Sequoia's, Corlieu Falls (I plan to go easy the first day because I live at sea level in NY).

DAY 2: Lower Yosemite Valley loop

DAY 3: Sentinel Dome

DAY 4: Half Dome (via Vernal and Nevada Falls)

DAY 5: Tenaya, Sunrise and Cathedral Lakes

DAY 6: Gaylor Lakes, then to Mono Lake/Tufa Castles

DAY 7: REST and RELAX, maybe go for an easy drive

DAY 8: Tuolumne Meadows, Elizabeth Lake

DAY 9: Hetch Hetchy and surround falls

DAY 10: Lyell Canyon via John Muir trail

DAY 11: Combination of May Lake, Lukens and Harden Lakes

DAY 12: Upper Yosemite Falls
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Next