Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Hiking Plan for 2 weeks in Yosemite: Did I miss any hikes?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Postby balzaccom » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:06 pm

I think you could combine days 3 & 7. Sentinel Dome, from Glacier POint Road, is a VERY easy hike. And I am still not a big believer in Day 2: WAY too many people to make that fun. Day 5 seems a tough way to follow Half Dome. I would do the Glacier Point and SEntinel Dome that day, as a rest day to recover.

And don't forget that some of this involves some driving. Y Valley to T Meadows is a good 90 minutes, more likely 2 hours with traffic...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:18 pm

I agree, Sentinal Dome is going to take you maybe two hours tops if you stroll along....

Be sure to take long pants on Hetch Hetchy, and some poison oak/ivy soap to rinse off when you get back to the car. Loads of poison oak, and while the trail is clear it's easy to brush up against it accidentally. Also keep a sharp eye for rattlesnakes. We spooked a few of them over Memorial Day.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SAFNYC » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:47 am

balzaccom wrote:I think you could combine days 3 & 7. Sentinel Dome, from Glacier POint Road, is a VERY easy hike. And I am still not a big believer in Day 2: WAY too many people to make that fun. Day 5 seems a tough way to follow Half Dome. I would do the Glacier Point and SEntinel Dome that day, as a rest day to recover.

And don't forget that some of this involves some driving. Y Valley to T Meadows is a good 90 minutes, more likely 2 hours with traffic...

Thanks again for the constructive advice.

I understand the crowd factor is high in the valley, but I have to see the valley at some point during this trip. I am making the hike on a Tuesday which should help reduce the crowd factor. What do you recommend as an alternative?
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:39 pm

I think walking around the meadows in the heart of Yosemite Valley is a great idea--but it won't take all day. Use the shuttle to get around and see the sights...and maybe save a couple of hours to work your way part of the climb up SNow Creek Falls trail, to look Half Dome in the face.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby SAFNYC » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:59 pm

balzaccom wrote:I think walking around the meadows in the heart of Yosemite Valley is a great idea--but it won't take all day. Use the shuttle to get around and see the sights...and maybe save a couple of hours to work your way part of the climb up SNow Creek Falls trail, to look Half Dome in the face.

Where is Snow Creek Falls Trail?
SAFNYC
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:44 am

It's a steep climb up out of the end of the Mirror Lake trail, and goes up towards North Dome. You only have to get a hundred yards up the trail to start getting some wonderful views.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking