Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Ten Lakes vs. Pate Valley in early July

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Ten Lakes vs. Pate Valley in early July

Postby honsing » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:35 am

I feel silly for being so indecisive about what I hope will be a tradition of BPing in the Yosemite area. I plan to take my 14yo son over 7/3-7/7 in the Glen Aulin/Waterwheel/Cold Canyon pass-through. He will go with me if we fish along the way. I would like to know which would disappoint the least, in terms of quality fishing (lures and flies, worms not allowed in my book): Ten Lakes, Tuolomne in the area granite-smashing and fish-smacking waterfalls, or Cold Canyon upto McCabe Lakes? If we can get into Yosemite and grab a permit up Lyell/Raferty/Mono Pass, that would be my preference and we would drop into the AA Wilderness. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
honsing
Regular
Regular

Postby bill-e-g » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:03 am

I never had much luck fishing near Glen Aulin.
Ten Lakes is your answer. Had alot of fun fishing a number of those lakes.
Lower McCabe has fish. Not too shabby. Middle McCabe they removed
the fish from that lake last year and will continue to do so. So don't
try to fish that lake. Upper McCabe still has fish also.

My vote for fishing is hands down Ten Lakes...
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:33 am

I'm not much of a fisherman, but I have seen quite a few fish caught at the various Ten Lakes lakes. I would vote for Ten Lakes as well.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby honsing » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:38 am

Thanks folks.
honsing
Regular
Regular

Postby john » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Ten Lakes has lots o' fish in the some of the lakes and none in others. They are barren due to they halt in stocking several years ago and the lack of spawning areas. I can tell you which ones do or you can figure it out on your own if you want more of a challenge.
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:24 pm

I can't remember if Grant has them or not. Do you?
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby john » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Lower Grant does, upper Grant does not. Nice camping here, as most groups pass these two lakes up on their way to Ten Lakes.
john
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby honsing » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks all. We caught lots of fish at Ten Lakes. Threw them all back because Yosemite backcountry fish are just too pretty and add to the scenery. We snuck into the "back door" of the basin via Glen Aulin. Saw nobody at all for two and-a-half days :D while on the backside of Tuolomne and Hoffman Peaks. AMAZING part of Yosemite.
honsing
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking