Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Stream crossing this time of year

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Stream crossing this time of year

Postby Wawona1 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Was just wondering what the parks streams/river crossings are like this time of year, on average.

Thanks...
Wawona1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:32 am

Which stream?
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby _Gabe_ » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:07 am

How about the streams you cross on the trail from Cathedral Lakes trailhead to Sunrise High Sierra camp?
_Gabe_
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

stream crossings

Postby major » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:08 pm

We went in Murphy Creek to McGee Lake and then over toward Waterwheel Falls, and then doubled back, coming out Tuolumne meadows. the trail to Waterwheel was very difficult to impassable due to flooding. Multiple other streams required wading. Lots of snow from Murphy Creek trailhead, but feasible to follow the trail
major

Re: stream crossings

Postby Random Walker » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:03 pm

major wrote:the trail to Waterwheel was very difficult to impassable due to flooding.

Did you get to Waterwheel Falls? Possible off trail work a rounds at "impassable" points along the trail?
I love the smell of deet in the morning.
The smell, you know that deet smell, the whole mountain.
Smelled like... victory.
Random Walker
Regular
Regular

Postby major » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:07 pm

No, we did not get to waterwheel falls. If you are willing to go a long ways in the water and on multiple fallen logs (better without a pack, or kids), then you might be able to get through. Some backpackers passed us on our way toward the falls, so it is POSSIBLE to get through. Its pretty flooded, though.
major

Postby Wawona1 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:06 pm

bill-e-g wrote:Which stream?

I really was just asking if there should be any streams I should avoid, or any parts of the park that I should avoid this time of year. Although I live at Wawona, I'm very new to Yose and don't want to go on a hike that requires a big ford.

Sorry that the question is so vague. I'm still trying to learn the park. I haven't been to the Big Oak flats area or the T. Pass road. I've spent some time in the valley and down here in Wawona. I guess I'm looking for day hikes that don't require big fords...
Wawona1
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking