Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Ostrander Lake Trip Review-Brilliant

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Ostrander Lake Trip Review-Brilliant

Postby mburr » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:55 am

Here is a quick review for 6/13 and 6/14 from Glacier Point Rd out to Ostrander Lake and back.

Quick overview for those who have not been there:

This is a 6.2 mile (one-way) hike that starts at 7,000ft and ascends to 8,500ft through primarily flat forested meadows with smaller streams during the first two miles. The remaining 4 miles climb moderately through more forest and through a burned region where there is much nice new growth forming.

Trail Condition: Very good; lower section is dry and clear of all debris. The upper section is also in very good condition although a bit more rocky than the lower section (also completely clear of debris). The trail is very well marked. There is no snow on the trail at any point.

Campsite Conditions: The campsites are in great shape and are completely dry. There were about 20 people spread across 4 sites while we were there and the sites are spread out enough that no one was on top of anyone else. Very good layout with varying sizes of campsites as well as options for lake views and wind protection.

Weather: Depends on what you like, but the weather this last weekend would have been a test for the ill-prepared or the less adventurous. There were intermittent showers (two that required rain jackets) on the way up and about 45 minutes after reaching camp some hail. There was a larger hail storm later in the afternoon that left a coating on the ground (some still visibile in the AM). Temps were low 50's upon arrival and mid to high 30's at night.

Summary: This was my first trip to Ostrander and I was very happy with the choice. This is a beautiful spot if you like alpine lakes. The hike is a good workout both ways and the reward is well worth it. While we had hoped to catch some wildflowers (knowing full well it was pretty early), there are none along the route just yet. However, it is easy to see that this could be a beautiful hike for wildflowers if caught in the right few weeks. We arrived at the lake around 3pm and set up camp in a great spot with views of the lake and some good wind protection. There is plenty of downed wood which was necessary for a night lower temps and some moisture. The hail stopped around 6PM and cleared up into a gorgeous starry night.

No one brave enough to go for a swim just yet...although it was discussed. Still just a tad chilly...great hike, great campsites, and a beautiful lake. Truly a fantastic spot.
mburr

Postby go bears » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:17 pm

thanks for the report!
the first backpacking trip i ever went on was a hike up to ostrander in 1990 the last day of finals junior year.
i was totally a rookie and froze my butt off up there and didn't have a waterproof jacket, either. it rained until we reached an elevation for snow, at which time it snowed about three inches... :evil:
ostrander is stunning. what is most memorable to me was the fishing for what seemed like thousands of small brookies and feasting on them for three days...
still, probably the best fish i've ever had due to the cold, need for food/fuel and surroundings.
great memories.
go bears
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking