Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

June 23-27: Buena Vista or Hetch Hetchy?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

June 23-27: Buena Vista or Hetch Hetchy?

Postby rotolins » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:16 am

Hello there,

We are preparing for a four-night backpacking trip in Yosemite, and we would be grateful for the advice of the seasoned.

Which would be better at this time of year:
1) A 30-mile loop beginning at Mono Meadow passing Buena Vista and Royal Arch Lakes
2) A loop beginning at the Hetch Hetchy trailhead
3) Something else entirely

We scrapped a plan in the Ten Lakes area due to still-snowy conditions. Now we're looking for moderate hiking (30 miles or less) in relative tranquility. A lovely loop route would be ideal.

Thanks, everyone.
rotolins

Re: June 23-27: Buena Vista or Hetch Hetchy?

Postby LVRAY » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Both areas are beautiful and I would strongly suggest you eventually do both. But given the time of year, I would vote for a loop out of Hetch Hetchy. That area can get quite try later in the year, so doing it early is good. Plus the waterfalls around Hetch Hetchy will be better this time of year.

There are numerous loops possible, I'll suggest one with a few options.

Day 1: Go from the dam past Wamama & Rancheria Falls, camp near Rancheria. Distance approx. 6 miles. Alternatively, you could go an addition 3 miles and camp in Tiltill Valley.

Day 2: Hike up trough TilTill Valley to Lake Vernon. Camp at Lake Vernon. Distance approx. 10 miles (or about 3 miles less if you went to Tiltill Valley first night).

Day 3: Explore the lakes NW of Lake Vernon in the morning, then hike the short 5 miles or so over to Laurel Lake. Best camps are on the NW shore.

Day 4: Head down hill to Miguel Meadow & Gravel Pit Lake. Camp at Gravel Pit Lake. Distance approx 5 miles. Along the way have lunch at the Frog Creek crossing - which is beautiful. If you go this way, my suggestion would be to go cross country from trail just where it turns to the SW above Gravel Pit Lake and head SE directly to the NE corner of the lake, where there is a nice secluded camp spot. It is a very short (0.2 mile) and easy cross country route that will save you about a mile of hiking. You can then set up camp and walk over to explore Miguel Meadow without your pack.

Day 5: Hike out following the old road to the dam - approx. 6 miles.

Total distance about 32 miles.

You can modify the above any # of ways. Here are two possibilities. The first shortens the mileage, the second adds to it.

One - From Laurel Lake head down to the dam without doing Miguel Meadow-Gravel Pit Lake. You can hike either back through Beehive Meadow and then down the trail that goes to the dam via the old road switchbacks (approx 7 miles) or go SW down to Frog Creek, then head west along Frog Creek to catch the same trail south of Beehive. This route is about a mile longer than going straight through Beehive Meadow. You also lose one night and shorten the trip by about 5 miles. You could spend the extra night at Vernon Lake and use the day to explore that area.

Two - From Laurel Lake head SW to Frog Creek. Cross the creek and head up trail and around the ridge. Just as the trail starts to turn to the SE, there is an old abandoned trail that heads down to Lake Eleanor. The beginning is marked if you look hard. Two years ago I added a rock carin and a log pointing to the start of it. It will take you more or less cross country and down hill to Lake Eleanor, where you catch a trail on its southern bank and loop back around to Mcguel Meadow. This route will add about 4 miles to the trip total, but you will see Lake Eleanor.

As I mentioned, there are many possible loops. Pick up a copy of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map (#307 Yosemite NW covers the Hetch Hetchy area) and Jeffrey Schaffer's book 'Yosemite National Park - A Complete Hiker's Guide' for far more detail. Just a note, Shaffer mentions the abandoned trail to Eleanor, but it is not on the National Geographic map.

Have fun.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:35 pm

Just a couple of comments:
a) It's all Good... Just pick one of those and go for it.
b) Frog Creek may be flowing really well right now and you might not
want to cross it. Just a heads up.
c) You'll know how well Falls Creek is running from Wapama.
Not sure what Lakes LVRAY is talking about that are NW of Vernon.
I guess Miwok and Ardeth which are above Jack Main Canyon.
That may be too much ... and you won't want to xcountry up
Falls Creek early in the year.

Since you haven't been more or less stick to the trail and maybe spend
2 days at Vernon. Go south on a dayhike and do some exploring on
the granite. Love Vernon... Granite... Granite... yeah!

Have fun!
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby LVRAY » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:55 pm

Frog Creek may very well be high this year. I have crossed it a few times in mid to late June in years past and it was never an issue. But this year may be very different. The trail crossing of Frog Creek does have very solid footing, however.

The lakes I was mainly referring to were Branigan Lakes, though they can be a grunt to get to from Vernon. It is also possible to go cross country up the Vernon Lake inlet to the Jack Main Canyon area and explore the water features in that area. But none of this is necessary to enjoy the beauty of Lake Vernon.

If you are not comfortable with cross country or new to backpacking, just stick to the main loop I described, either including or excluding going over to Miguel Meadow-Gravel Pit Lake, depending on how well the hike is going and how you feel. And to be honest, Miguel Meadow has never excited me and Gravel Pit Lake isn't much of a lake. But they do offer a good chance of solitude - not many people use the trail from Laurel to Miguel.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Ok. Branigans are NE. That was my confusion.
Love the Branigans! Did all 3 with my trail boat last year!

I love Gravel Pit early and late. I can watch dragonflys for hours...
But alot of the area below Vernon is mostly forest...

Anyway... enjoy!!!
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby oakroscoe » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:07 pm

I'd vote for the Hetch Hetchy trip. However, since the original poster asked for moderate, I would skip the Laurel Lake and Gravel Pit option. Having hiked over to Laurel yesterday before I came out this afternoon, I doubt I'll go back to Laurel again. It would be a little work to get to Lower or Middle Branigan, but those are pretty lakes and make a great dayhike from Vernon. However, if you do decide to go towards Laurel, Frog Creek wasn't too bad. It was flowing but definitely crossable.

EDIT: if you do go out Hetch Hetchy way, bring your DEET, the mosquitoes will be out in force in the next week.
oakroscoe
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking