Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Best resource for high country weather

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Best resource for high country weather

Postby jms703 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:10 pm

What is the best resource for checking high country weather?

I'm hoping to find information from the various weather stations scattered about the Sierra.

Most reports are tailored for the populated areas like the valley floor.
jms703
Regular
Regular

Re: Best resource for high country weather

Postby LVRAY » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:57 pm

You want to look at the California Data Exchange Center - Dept. of Water resources web site.

I tried posting the link, but the stuppid forum rules will not let me post URLs yet because I am too new! :-)
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Best resource for high country weather

Postby LVRAY » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:03 pm

Let me see if I can fool the stupid thing by altering the URLs. You should be able to cut & paste these and use them in your browser without alteration - do not add the w's

Try the California Data Exchange Center Dept of Water Resources site:
cdec.water.ca.gov/

There is a lot of useful info there, but the data from the backcountry monitoring stations may be most helpful. Click on the 'stations' link then search for the Yosemite area.

To save you some time searching, here is their map function centered over White Wolf. You can easily move the map in the different compass directions to see more stations.

cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/mapper?level=2&map=25&quad=2

Just click on the station name link to the right of the map and you will see a list of data available from that station (temp, snow depth, wind, etc.). Just click on the link to the info you want.

Though most of Yosemite's backcountry is covered, there are a few gaps.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby Heybooboo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:15 pm

I felt the same way when I first started.
Here is the water resources link.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/
Smarter than the average bear.
Heybooboo
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby hikehigh » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:08 pm

I like the NOAA Forecast. You can click anywhere on the map to get a pin point forecast for different locations through out the park. This thing wont let me post a link because I am new, but just google NOAA and type Yosemite, ca into the city, state box
hikehigh
Regular
Regular

Postby LVRAY » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:42 pm

The NOAA weather forecast is the same one linked from the offical Yosemite Natinal Park web site. From the main page, just follow the link under current conditions and then the link for weather forecast. By default, it gives the forecast for the Valley, but you can move the pointer to any location you like.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking