Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trip Report - TM-GA-VA-Matterhorn-Benson Pass-PV-GC

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trip Report - TM-GA-VA-Matterhorn-Benson Pass-PV-GC

Postby LVRAY » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:15 pm

Last week (June 25 to June 30) we did a loop trip covering the following areas: TM-GA-Virginia Canyon-Miller Lake-Matterhorn Canyon-Wilson Creek-Benson Pass-Smedburg Lake-Roger's Lake-Neal Lake-Pate Valley-Grand Canyon and out via McGee and Polly Dome Lakes.

The high country is beautiful this time of year! The snow around the lakes and peaks adds a great feel. I will try and post some pics later this weekend. If there is any thing specific you want to see, let me know.

Snow conditions - all trails were fully clear except for the trail up to Benson Pass which had a minimal amount near the very top on the east side. Very easy to cross. West side fully clear. However, there was a significant amount of snow as you approached the pass over to Roger's Lake. Shortly after leaving the PCT junction, the snow covered 60-70% of the trail. By the time you hit the switchbacks, the trail was 100% snow covered and you just had to pick your own route up and over. On the Roger's Lake side the trail was clear.

Bugs - minimal all the way to Benson Pass. Once we crossed the pass, they were heavy at Smedburg, Roger's and Neal Lakes. By the time we hit Pate Valley they were almost non-existent. Spent the night sleeping under the stars in Pate Valley with no problem form mosquitos. They were bad again by the time we reached Waterwheel Falls and stayed that way all the way through McGee and Polly Dome Lakes.

Stream Crossings - not bad at all. All streams and creeks are running very strong, but easily crossable. Most could be crossed on rocks or logs. Those that required getting your feet wet were cold, but never above the knees.

Mud - there is some, but again not a real issue. Worst around Smedburg Lake and in Glen Aulin proper. Also a little in Roger's Meadow. However, the earlier reported underwater section in GA has now dried to the point you can rock hop your way through without getting your feet soaked.

Other:

The rock slide in the GC just west of Muir Gorge is obviously still there. But it is an easy and short scramble around.

There is a trail crew camped in Pate Valley in a very large camp on the south side of the river.

Bears are definitely out and about.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Nice.

The wife and I were just at Rodgers on the 30th.
Snow is not an issue anymore. Only the very last 20 ft. up to the
crest was covered completely in snow. Everywhere else just a
trivial amount on the trail. Anyone reading this will not have any issue
by the time they get there...
The mosquitos at Smedberg were very heavy.
At Rodgers Lake... outta control! And I mean ... cccccrazy outta control.

We didn't see a single bear in 6 days. Only prints and poo...
And a grand total of 2 people in Yosemite.... sa-weet...
:)
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking