Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

permit question from a newb

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

permit question from a newb

Postby tkms0111 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a permit and I'm wondering if I need open dates for each day that I'll be staying or just for the day I'll be starting. If the latter, how many nights am I allowed to stay?

Also, if anyone would be so kind, could you please check out the trailhead availability page and let me know what the best/most beautiful trailheads are that are available for July 22nd. I'm looking for a round trip hike around 20-35 miles.

Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm pretty lost.
tkms0111

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:10 am

you need an open spot on the date of entry - the duration of the trip doesn't matter, except that you also need to specify the date you exit the wilderness and where you will exit.

It's Yosemite - all the trails are going to have some appeal. But you will have better luck avoiding the most popular trailheads, Tuolumne Meadows, Sunrise, Happy Isles.... You could go into Ten Lakes Basin, for example, or out from Glacier Point to Illilouette to access the mist trail and Half Dome or Clouds Rest. The first camp from Glacier Point is Ilillouette and this is very short, then you cannot camp until Little Yosemite Valley, but making LYV your second night stands a better chance of giving you access than if you make it your first night's destination.

I see Chilnualna Falls isn't even listed - it's not full on any day. Going up that one early in the morning lets you access the Chilnualna Lakes/Buena Vista trail without being overheated - it's an exposed and sunny hike on southfacing slope. No one likes to do it because it's 4 miles up the hill, but once you're up it there's a sizable loop to hike.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby tkms0111 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:04 am

I appreciate all the help. I see that Sunrise Lakes has an opening on the 23rd. I'd be willing to wait for that and just do a day hike on the 22nd. If I grabbed a reservation for that, what should my plan of attack be? And I can make a round trip and make my exit the same as where I entered right?
tkms0111

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:31 am

The exit point doesn't matter... so yes you can come back out the same way. And if you pick up the permit the day before, you can get a five dollar campsite in the backpacker's campground the night before you enter the wilderness, and again the night after you come back to the trailhead. The backpacker's campground is in the Tuolumne Meadows campground.

You'll need to get the permit before 10 am on the day of the hike, also - if you don't request a hold on it to pick it up later, they release to the next hiker who walks in the wilderness office.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby tkms0111 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:15 pm

Alright I'm gonna ask one more question and then I'll stop bugging you.

If you could pick your favorite 30 mile or so loop starting at a less used trailhead, what would it be?

And then what would your favorite loop be starting from maybe a more popular trailhead? (in case we can get a walk-in since we'll be starting on a Wednesday)
tkms0111

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking