Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Can you hike cross country from Nelson Lake to Vogelsang?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Re: Can you hike cross country from Nelson Lake to Vogelsang

Postby weendoggy » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:14 pm

I've done this in a more "direct" way by x-country over the ridge going SE toward Vogelsang. It's not that difficult once you leave the SE side of the lake through a meadow and then start climbing up the granite. You just pick your way and you'll be fine. I did not have to remove my pack or use ropes so I know it can be done. Once at the crest, you have a large open granite slope down to the trail coming up from Emeric. You'll eventually run into the trail and then head NE to Vogelsang. As mentioned, I'd make sure you have an experienced hiker and topo. You should have ample time to complete the hike and setup camp and explore for several hours before fixing you dinner. :)
weendoggy
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: Can you hike cross country from Nelson Lake to Vogelsang

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:14 am

There are a huge number of possible routes. Problem what I am seeing ... is ...
People bite off more than they can chew. It looks simple on the map...
Strap on a backpack and it becomes even more difficult. And people get in trouble...
or just don't do anything close to what they ask.
This is a big reason why I quit putting up route maps.

I haven't gone your way yet... thanks for posting that though. Will do some day.

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Previous

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking