Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

I'm planning my first time trip....need help

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

I'm planning my first time trip....need help

Postby Tamu25 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

I am planning my first backpacking trip to Yosemite. I just started backpacking again about 1 year ago after a 10 year hiatus. I live in Dallas and do most of my backpacking in the Ouachita Mountains along the Ouachita Trail.

I am looking for some good advice as to what trail to backpack in Yosemite based on the following wants:

Moderate - No MAJOR elevation changes.
Mostly wooded but some good meadows as well
LOTS OF WATER sources - I absolutely love rivers, creeks, and lakes

I plan on going around the middle of June (assuming that's a good time of year).

ANY SUGGESTIONS......a place to find good picture examples of your suggestion would be helpful also.
Tamu25

Postby Tamu25 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Oh....and when I say "no major elevation changes", I'm stalking about STEEP climbs....
Tamu25

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Define steep. :)

You've described most of the trails in Yosemite. Later in the season some of the smaller tributaries will dry out, but right now in July you can go anywhere and find plenty of water.

You don't say how long a trip you're looking for, or when you want to go. Those two factors make a huge difference in what suggestions you might get.

Saddlebag Lake area (not in the park, but just outside on Tioga Pass) is a great higher elevation loop with lots of water and very scenic. Off Glacier Point Road, there is Ostrander Lake, a favorite of my hiking group for introducing newbies to the easy overnight trip. There is one steep section of trail going up Horizon Ridge but otherwise the trail is all meadow, forest and along streams. Going out to Clouds Rest from Tioga Road (Sunrise trailhead) is a 14 mile day hike or easy overnight.

Other than that, give us more feedback on when and mileages expected. There's plenty of trails.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby 2dtrail » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:12 pm

I 2nd Saddlebag Lake-20 lakes basin loop!
2dtrail

Postby Tamu25 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:28 pm

I am looking at going around the beginning or middle of june. I'm planning on about 5 days on the trail.
Tamu25

Postby Tamu25 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Thanks for the great responses. The saddlebag lakes loop sounds interesting. Where is the trailheaad for this?
Tamu25

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Saddlebag is a little short for five days, but here's a link:
http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/Hiking.htm

June is still fairly early, which means you could easily do Hetch Hetchy/Laurel Lake/Kibbie Lake and Tiltill/paradise. There's some uphill bits but the grade going up the Beehive trail is along an old road so it's manageable. Later in the year that area gets warmer and the stretch along the lake can be hot in the afternoon.

There's the Chilnualna Lakes loop, which if planned starting from Bridalveil Campground or Ostrander Lake trailhead would end by going down the Chilnualna Falls trail, which is a steady four mile uphill coming up from Wawona.

Many of the trails have an uphill part. Sometimes there are workarounds with the bus system - it depends on when the buses start running, and the campgrounds aren't always open in June. Depending on snowmelt and when the pass opens (usually late May) you could park in the valley, ride the hiker's bus or YARTS to Tioga Pass trailheads and hike down from Sunrise or Cathedral Lakes trailhead to Clouds Rest, Little Yosemite Valley, Nevada and Vernal Falls, Half Dome, and eventually to Happy Isles.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking