Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Trail suggestions

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Trail suggestions

Postby clementao » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:56 pm

My husband and I are looking to do a three night backpacking trip in early to mid september. We are looking for suggestions of trails (preferably loops). We would be up for any difficulty level and hopefully not too many people.
clementao

Postby balzaccom » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:01 pm

By going in September, you will have already guaranteed that you won't see quite so many people. If you really want to get away, I would avoid the more obvious choice like Desolation or Emigrant Wilderness.

At that time of the year, the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne would be pretty quiet--but so would the waterfalls. And Illilioutte Canyone would also be beautiful, but it's not a loop.

You might look at Carson/Iceberg Wilderness of Highway 108. You could go up Clark fork and then to the loop around through Boulder Lake. That would be not too hard, and I don't you'd see many people. The last time my wife and I were up the CLark Fork, we were the only ones there...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby zonachris » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:31 pm

Start in Toulloumne (no idea how to spell it), head through Lyell canyon (day 1) over Donohue pass to Garnet Lake (day 2), then to Red's meadow via PCT (day 3), then grab the yarts back to Toulmne (or leave car at Mammouth before hand). Enjoy!
zonachris
Regular
Regular

Postby hiker97 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:06 pm

Another nice trip would be Ten Lakes Basin. A great shuttle version starts at the May Lake trailhead, passes close to Tuolumne Peak and then on to 10 Lakes Basin. The exit would be south on Yosemite Creek back to Hwy 120. Should be much less crowded in September. Don't miss exploring where the lakes fall away toward the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:19 pm

I have to point out that the original poster requested trips without many people...and the last two suggestions have been among the most popular hikes in the park...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hiker97 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:29 pm

My bad...your Illouette would be a better way to go for less people, although the last two suggestions would probably be just fine if done mid-week.
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:18 am

Almost any hike will guarantee fewer people, but Ten Lakes there was a lot of people out there last weekend.... The trailhead has the highest quota on Tioga Pass.

The Chilnualna Lakes lollipop - no one likes the four mile hill going in, but it's okay if you start in the early morning and make it to the top before the heat of the day.

Hetch Hetchy to Beehive to Laurel or Kibbie Lake. Look out for rattlers, especially at the lower elevation near the lake, and go early for the parts at lower elevation.

Mono Meadow to Red Peak Pass. While all the tourists are walking the Panorama or Ilillouette trail you'll have maybe a handful of people for company.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:23 am

AlmostThere wrote:Hetch Hetchy to Beehive to Laurel or Kibbie Lake. Look out for rattlers, especially at the lower elevation near the lake, and go early for the parts at lower elevation.

Sorry ... just need to correct this. I guess he meant Vernon.

And don't worry about Rattlers. This type of warning is way overblown.
Esp. for Beehive/Laurel/Vernon. Been up the switchbacks probably
close to 50 times. Seen 1 rattler... They will warn you long before
you are in any danger. I welcome seeing rattlesnakes to be honest.
In my mind they are beautiful creatures. And with 99.99% of
wildlife they are not gonna piss with you if you don't piss with them.

Anyway! ... If you go mid-Sept. just pick anything.
"crowds" are way down then...
(ok, maybe not LYV)

Have fun
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 am

Yes, I meant Vernon. Thank you.

The only reason I mention rattlers at all is that they do startle you if you aren't looking out for them. Most of the ones I've seen on the trail will get out of your way quick. Not really a danger unless you go trying to catch them.

I'm a she, by the way. :P
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby clementao » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I just need to find time to check them all out.
clementao

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:09 am

My other words of advice are.
Just make sure you look at the mileage.

Lower Ottoway is 15 miles. Red Peak Pass ~18.

I always tell people to keep your mileage < 10 per day.
You want to enjoy the trip and have time to explore your
"destination" for the day.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking