Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Advice for GCT backpack trip in August

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Advice for GCT backpack trip in August

Postby susykat » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:05 pm

My boyfriend and I have our Glen Aulin pass-through permits for the first week of August (yeah)! Originally I had planned to go point-to-point and end at White Wolf. Since the shuttle schedule is inconvenient and I heard that the way out to White Wolf isn't very scenic, I am wondering if instead we should do a loop like this:

Day 1 TM to Virginia Canyon
Day 2 Rodgers Lake
Day 3 Pate Valley
Day 4 Waterwheel Falls
Day 5 exit

I got this itinerary from a book-is it realistic or really hardcore? My boyfriend and I are experienced backpackers, to give an idea of what we can do, this May we did the Inca Trek and backpacked with our stuff, we didn't hire the porter. We can stand some hard work, but don't want to kill ourselves and not enjoy it.

Any advice at all about the route is appreciated--especially interested in whether what I heard about White Wolf is true, and also if there is fire damage, I heard something about controlled fires in the area.

Thanks so much!
susykat
Regular
Regular

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:05 pm

The fire you're referring to is likely nothing but ash by now - there was a trail closure for Harden Lake on the website but it's gone now. It was a lightning strike they turned into a managed burn, btw. I was at Ten Lakes a couple weeks ago and it was clear skies, didn't even see any smoke.

I had to look at my map - it does look like a very scenic route with some ups and downs. This is one of the regions I haven't worked my way around to - been hiking southern and eastern Yosemite, now starting to get on Tioga Pass trails - and I look forward to your trip report.

Although, this late, the falls may be less spectacular than in spring.

Here's a trip report on Sierra Trails - from Hetch Hetchy, not the exact loop you're doing, but it covers the GC portion coming up from Pate.

http://www.sierra-trails.com/tuolumne/tuolumne001.htm
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:48 pm

I wouldn't worry about "the way out to White Wolf".
Harden Lake is interesting... and after that you'll be smelling the barn.
Not a big deal either coming or going. It may be interesting with
the recent fire too...

Anyway... regarding the loop (which is what I would do!) ...
Inca is what? 26 miles? 4 days?

You stuck that into your first 2 days.

I would really recommend if you do the Cold Canyon/Virginia Canyon/
Matterhorn/Benson Pass/Rodgers/Pate/GCT loop that you give
yourself 1 more day.
Your first two days are probably a bit too aggressive. Maybe you
can do it but I just don't know. I wouldn't recommend it.
I'd plan 1 extra day and if you can do it in 1 less then cool.
Plus I'd take 1 day to run up some peaks or do some exploring.
You could even run down to Benson and spend 1 night.

Believe me... you will love that loop you picked out.

(and if you already have exit date don't worry about that...)

If you have any other questions ... shoot away.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

thanks

Postby susykat » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanks for the replies--the distance being agressive on the loop was exactly what I was worried about, thanks for confirming this. If we did add in one more day, any suggestion on the best way to break it up? My one other concern is the mosquitos...

Thanks also for the fire info--good to know. I'm leaning more towards the loop hike. Guess we still have a little while to decide.
susykat
Regular
Regular

Postby LVRAY » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:37 pm

We did that exact loop a few weeks ago. Great trip. You will love it. But do give yourself one more day. Virginia Canyon to Rodgers Lake would be a grunt. For a little change of scenery, you could come out via McGee and Polly Dome lakes so you don't have to repeat the beginning part of the trip. You can then take the shuttle bus back to your car.
LVRAY
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking