Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Can you hike to Cathedral Peak summit without gear?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Can you hike to Cathedral Peak summit without gear?

Postby yosemiteken » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:57 pm

I am planning a week long backpacking trip with my two sons (16 & 12) and wanted to start at TM and go to the Valley via Cathedral Lakes and Clouds Rest. I was considering hiking to the top of the Cathedral Peak summit when when we are in the Cathedral Lakes area. We don't have any climbing experience, but we have done Half Dome twice and this was not a problem. Can you hike the summit without gear? If so, what trail/path do you take? Thanks.
yosemiteken

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:34 am

I went to the top of Cathedral years ago. It's pretty hairy. WE eventually roped up because of the exposure...we dropped something and it continued to clatter down the mountain for about 300 yards. That's when we decided it made sense to rope up.

I wouldn't do this with kids. Really.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby yosemiteken » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks. Any other peaks or places worth exploring around the Cathedral Lakes area?
yosemiteken

Postby jpcal » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:34 am

A couple years ago I went up the mountain right next to the lower lake. We went up the ridge to the top, once at the top you could see a lot. On one side it was lower Cathedral and the other side you could see Tenya. It wasn't hard getting up, however there were loose rocks so you have to watch your steps. My dad had brought up his gps and I think it was about 11,000 elevation.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:51 pm

I've goen to the top of Mammoth Peak, Mt Dana, Cathedral, COnness...all of them lovely experiences. I think my favorite was Conness...but that's more of a hike. The climb up Mt. Dana is simple, and the views are stunning, including Mono Lake. And it's not far from Cathedral...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby hikehigh » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:21 am

The summit block of cathedral is class 4 (you will be severely injured or die if you fall un-roped)
hikehigh
Regular
Regular

Re: Can you hike to Cathedral Peak summit without gear?

Postby dan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 pm

I tried it once and almost got to the top. The summit is a group of rectangular blocks where you can try and jump on or climb, and would die if you miss. I decided not to risk it.
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking