Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

creek fording / wading footwear

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

creek fording / wading footwear

Postby hiker97 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:53 am

Here's what may be a dumb question....where you are fording a very wide creek and cannot rock-hop, what do folks typically choose to do in terms of footwear or lack thereof? I have heard people say they bring along some other type of water shoes just for the creek or river crossing. I have heard people go barefoot. Keeping the boots on would seem like a blister factory to me. My particular trip I am heading out for is actually not in Yosemite (Evolution Creek crossing along the JMT) but it is a general question where I'm sure folks have some opinions and recommendations. Thanks for any insights!
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby AlmostThere » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:59 am

Crocs are the lightest (ugliest) solution I've found. Flipflops tear out toe webbing and aren't stable. If you want traction on wet slimy rocks, superglue or epoxy felt strips to the soles of the crocs.

Another solution - take off boots and socks, put boots on, ford the creek. on the other side, pour out water, dry off feet, put on socks, and hike on. Your feet won't be soaked and the boots will dry as you walk.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Hikin Mike » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 am

I bought a cheap ($5) pair of "water shoes" at Target 5-6 years ago. Not sure what the proper name, but they just look like slippers, but they're for water. I use them at camp too! 8)
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Re: creek fording / wading footwear

Postby SteveH » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:16 pm

hiker97 wrote:Here's what may be a dumb question....where you are fording a very wide creek and cannot rock-hop, what do folks typically choose to do in terms of footwear or lack thereof? I have heard people say they bring along some other type of water shoes just for the creek or river crossing. I have heard people go barefoot. Keeping the boots on would seem like a blister factory to me. My particular trip I am heading out for is actually not in Yosemite (Evolution Creek crossing along the JMT) but it is a general question where I'm sure folks have some opinions and recommendations. Thanks for any insights!

Wife and I use Tevas we have bungied on back of our packs. Also use them as camp shoes to cool feet off after a long day of hiking.

/r
/r
SteveH
SteveH
Regular
Regular

Postby hiker97 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:06 pm

great stuff everyone...I was kind of thinking along those lines but just had to post the question! Thanks :D
hiker97
Very frequent poster
Very frequent poster

Postby bill-e-g » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Take shoes off. Walk across with socks on.
(I hate cold water)
Take socks off, ring out, strap to pack...
Put dry socks on... good to go.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby balzaccom » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:23 pm

I am a big believer in Crocs now. I have some that even have a kind of bungie to keep them on my feet. They hang on the back of my pack, dry quickly, and are great around camp. And they weigh almost nothing.
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby bill-e-g » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 pm

Myself have almost bought crocs a number of times.
Reason haven't is that it's just more stuff to carry and I haven't
seen the reason b/c I wear trail running shoes and those
are comfy in 'camp' too.
bill-e-g
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Keep35 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:35 pm

+1 for Tevas.

I have a pair that's at least 10 years old, still in good shape.
Of course, that's probably because I only use them camping.
I wouldn't be caught dead in public in them.
Keep35

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking