Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

LOST CAMERA

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

LOST CAMERA

Postby rwheeler1977 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:38 am

My family and I left Yosemite on Saturday, July 18th. We drove about 30-40miles from the Yosemite Lodge on highway 41 toward Fresno. We pulled over on a turnout to let our 2 year old go pee. I strapped him in and we took off with the van door open. We only went about 3 feet quickly stopped and closed the door. We are thinking the camera may have fallen out since it was near the door. I have contacted Lost and Found for the park and everywhere else we stopped on our way home. I am desperate to get the camera back since it was our first trip there as a family. Does anyone know anyone that lives in Yosemite that might be willing to look for our camera. We are willing to give a REWARD. The camera was a NIkon D200 in a large black camera bag. There was a spare lense with it as well. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!
rwheeler1977

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:49 am

I am going up Tioga on Saturday. If you can describe where the pullout is, I can try to look. Which side of the road? was it narrow or wide? dirt or paved? any landmarks near the pullout for me to look for?
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Reply to ALmost There

Postby rwheeler1977 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi there,

Thank you so much for replying to my request. You don't understand how desperate I am to try and find our camera for our pictures, at this point I don't even care about the camera itself.

Like I sayed before my husband thinks we were about 30-40miles from the Yosemite Lodge heading toward Fresno on the 41. He looked at Google Earth but everything down there looks the same. He believes we just came out of a left turn, heading on a incline. The turnout was wide and an obvious one. We think the turnout was dirt not cement. The turnout was on the right side, the side we were on. I think I remember seeing a sign turned backwards(since I don't remember what it sayed) just after we pulled off with our door open about 3 feet from the turnout.

OUr black camera bag was about the size of a backpack. We are not sure if it was tagged or not. It contained a Nikon D200 plus an extra lense and a few other odds and ends.

If you need me to remind you on Saturday let me know how to get ahold of you via email or phone and I will be glad to do that. I certainly appreciate your willingness to look for us. I know it is a far fetch but worth it in our eyes to have our pictures. Thanks again! Renee
rwheeler1977

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:23 pm

would you happen to remember if there was a bear box in the turnout?

that would make it verrrry easy indeed.

The sign turned to face opposing traffic might be a good clue but there are many signs - only one bear box.

Also - Wawona is about 30 miles from Yosemite Village. Did you turnout after passing Wawona?
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby jpcal » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:52 am

Hey anything is possible. I remember a couple years ago I read that someone had dropped their camera off the back of Half Dome. Well a year later someone was hiking around the back side of Half Dome and found the camera and returned it to the owner. Hopefully someone will find it and give it back. Good Luck.
jpcal
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby rwheeler1977 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 pm

HI again - AlmostThere,

So I talked to my husband and he recalls seeing a bear box in our journey that was down an edge that appeared to be beat up as if a car had hit it. He is pretty confident it was where we stopped to let my son out to pee. He thought to himself what an odd place to have a bear box. We were not to Wawona yet.

While my son was peeing I remember looking down not as if it was a cliff but just trees on a steep hillside. I remember thinking to myself if a car went off of the road here it would get stopped by these trees and not make it all the way to the bottom. The coloring on the ground of the outlet was reddish.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Renee
rwheeler1977

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:39 pm

So the bear box was sitting in the pullout, or pushed off the side? I believe that was the alder creek falls trailhead pullout. It's the only one with a bear box in it. I know exactly where that is. I'll stop for a bit and have a look around on the way to Tioga this coming Saturday. Our trip is a week in the high country hiking over to Devil's Postpile, but we will be back at the car by Saturday and I will post again when I get home.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby rwheeler1977 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:51 am

Hi AlmostTHere,

My husband sayed the bear box was pushed off the side. Boy, do you know your way around there. I do remember Alder Creek and another creek very close to the Alder Creek. Have fun on your adventures to Devil's Postpile. I look forward to hearing from you upon your hiking trip. Have a great trip!

Thank you soo much!
Renee
rwheeler1977

Postby Wickett » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:10 pm

I kept my eye out this week and did not see it on the way to mariposa grove. Hopefully almostthere found it.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:12 pm

hey,

Just got back from Yosemite - I'm sorry to say that I did not find it in any of the pullouts near Alder Creek. There were a couple of them with bear boxes, which is fairly new, but no camera bag. I'm going to guess someone picked it up. You might call and find out if there is a lost and found, and if so, see if anyone turned in a bag matching the description of yours.

:(
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Thank you

Postby rwheeler1977 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:43 pm

HI Almost There,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look for me. I really appreciate your generosity of your time and energy. I wish the outcome was different, it would have made for a good story but it is what it is. I hope if someone does come across our camera they would do what is right.

I hope you had a great week backpacking in Yosemite. Thanks again!

Renee
rwheeler1977

Thanks!

Postby rwheeler1977 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:45 pm

Dear Wickett,

I appreciate you keeping an eye out as well. Thank you for taking the time to look.

Renee
rwheeler1977

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking