Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Alternate to Half Dome day hike

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Alternate to Half Dome day hike

Postby Needanuhike » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:26 pm

I've been hiking Half Dome as an annual one day hike with friends for years and we're ready for an alternative. A one day strenuous, scenic hike in yosemite. Any suggestions?
Needanuhike
First-timer
First-timer

Postby hikehigh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Check out the Yosemite Mountains and Rocks page on summit post: http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?object_type=1&parent_id=171226&order_type=ASC&&orderby=elevation&order_type=DESC

Mt. Conness, Excelsior, or maybe Kuna, are good peaks. or do Dana and Gibbs.
hikehigh
Regular
Regular

Postby Hikin Mike » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:52 pm

Mt. Conness or Mt Dana comes to mind.
Hikin Mike
Frequent poster
Frequent poster

Postby balzaccom » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Cloud's Rest from Tenaya Lake. IT's a better hike, and it's higher, and there are fewer people, and the views better...
balzaccom
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby Wickett » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 pm

balzaccom wrote:Cloud's Rest from Tenaya Lake. IT's a better hike, and it's higher, and there are fewer people, and the views better...

I second this one. I am doing it this weekend, staying out and backpacking though.
Wickett
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby susykat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:38 pm

I'll third Clouds Rest from Tenaya. I believe it's a 14 mile round trip day hike. The very end on the ridge is very narrow and exposed and freaks me out, but it's not dangerous. Also, if anyone is freaked and doesn't want to go all the way, there's plenty of opportunity to stop at any point on the final stretch, and still have a pretty decent view (looking down on Half Dome), although it's more expansive if you go all the way to the end. You really can't go wrong with this hike.
susykat
Regular
Regular

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking