Home A - Z FAQ Bookstore Art Prints Online Library Discussion Forum Muir Weather Maps Lodging About Search
CalHotels.US--online reservations now CalHotels.US Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed. Click Here For Yours!
Hotel photos, maps, reviews, & discount rates.

U.S. Hotels in California (Yosemite, L. A., San Francisco ), AL, AK, AR, AS, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, OK, NV, MH, MP, NM, NC, ND, OH, OR, PA, PR, PW, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, VI WA, WV, WI, WY

[Yosemite]

Mount Lyell?

Hiking, backpacking, running, biking, climbing, rafting, and other human-powered activities in Yosemite National Park

Moderators: Wickett, dan

Mount Lyell?

Postby mojo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi Everyone....

My job is nice enough to send me to the bay area a few times a year. Last year I day hiked half dome and also did Lassen Peak. I'm heading back out in a few weeks and was thinking of trying Mt. Lyell. I was planning on doing an overnight to enjoy some time in the Sierra.

I'm a little concerned with regard to the glacier however. I won't have mountaineering equipment (i.e axe, crampons). From what I've read you don't have to actually climb the glacier but can skirt around it at the base and scramble to the summit.

Most trail reports I've read always talk of crampons, axe etc. These people are almost always climbing up the glacier however. I'm having trouble finding confirmation that a bareboot traverse of it is doable, or that I can skirt it altogether.

Just as an FYI because I know I would ask if I read this post....I'm not a novice hiker or backpacker. I live in NH and do a ton of hiking here in the Whites. The terrain and elevation gain here is more much like western mountains compared to the rest of the Appalachians and I've done my fair share of death marches. When I did Half Dome I didn't notice any altitude effects either so I should be okay with regard to that.

I'm not worried about the physical demands, just the ice/snow.
Can someone please tell me what to expect in terms of traversing it or getting around it? I don't want to get myself into trouble and I want to have an idea of what to expect. I'm perfectly happy doing a different hike...I've never seen a glacier first hand however so this hike intrigued me. Thanks.
mojo

Postby mojo » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:19 am

Really no one had done this peak?

I'm not married to this....just looking for a decent 1 or 2 night hike. As much as I hate to admit I like peak bagging and want to at least summit something. Any suggestion if not Lyell?
mojo

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:13 am

http://www.climber.org/TripReports/ByPeakL.html#lyell

Try climber's websites. You'll probably get a lot more info. :)
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Re: Mount Lyell?

Postby dan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:21 pm

If you don't want to bring or use proper gear (such as an ice ax or crampons), I would try another peak. How about Mt. Lyell? Start at Tioga Pass Entrance Station and hike cross country up to the top. A all-day hike. Get a top map of the area, since there's no official trail.

As for Altitude. Top of Half Dome is 10000. Tioga Pass is 9950' or so. So it's likely you'll have altitude problems (usually shortness of breath and maybe headaches or nausea, for example).
dan
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:36 pm

Half Dome is 8842, Clouds Rest is 9930, mt Lyell is 13114. Mt Dana is 13061. But the elevation gain on Half Dome is 4800 and the elevation gain on Dana is only 3200.... That bit matters too. Clouds from Sunrise will start at nearly the same elevation as the peak, go down, then go back up. You'll more likely have altitude issues on Dana or Lyell.
AlmostThere
Veteran-poster
Veteran-poster

Postby mojo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:46 pm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:21 pm Post subject: Re: Mount Lyell?
If you don't want to bring or use proper gear (such as an ice ax or crampons), I would try another peak. How about Mt. Lyell?

My original post was regarding Lyell.....assuming you might have meant Dana? I will definitely give that a go...but ideally I'm looking for an overnight hike.

You're right...I'll definitely feel altitude effects...what I meant though was that it shouldn't inhibit me from completing a hike.

I've decided to pass on Lyell....trying to put together something else. I'll have the day I arrive (early) to give Dana a go. Thanks.
mojo

Return to Yosemite Hiking & Backpacking